Having issues with my max 2 idle arm not functioning...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Having issues with my max 2 idle arm not functioning...

Having issues with my max 2 idle arm not functioning...

Hi having issues with a 1999 Max 2 idle arm not functioning. She began dying at iidle amd was fune when I gave her gas. Then she comletely died and only starts up shortly if I spray starting fluid directly into the carb. I was told the governor needed adjusting while I held it in the wide open position. Problem being the idle is stuck in the wide open position. Trying to figure out the issue so I get her running again. The governor adjustment is pretty much stuck and I can't adjust it. Hoping someone has an idea of what I may so to fix this. I ordered a new governor arm, idle arm, springs. I am hoping I can use to adjust it properly. Strangely enough the last time it died like this on me it was a bad fuel filter which seemed too easy a fix to be true. She also doesn't seem to be getting fuel in the carburetor and I just replaced the fuel pump. I am nearly at the point I may drop a new motor in her but not sure what size shaft this 16hp Vtwin briggs has...Going to have to figure it out. Never replaced an engine before...Anyway some possible ideas from folks here with more knowledge on how to keep the old engine running a while would be appreciated....I am just learning to fix these issues solo so any advice qould be great...Thanks....

Before you replace anything give the carb a good cleaning. Also are you using black fuel line? If so it could be coming apart from the inside. This happens often. I only use the clear fuel line. A trick you can do with the black fuel line to let you know when its starting to deteriorate is run to filters one at the tank and another right before the carb. IF the line starts to fail you will see it in the filter at the carb. Be careful changing the governor spring as Max puts a different spring on the governor.

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. Ill have to check the fuel line. I replaced all the black fuel line about 2 1/2 years ago but It is possible it's going bad. I may just go ahead and replace it all with the clear line you mentioned. I have a carb I am cleaning to switch them out eventually but the existing carb looks good and I cleaned it up. I am now wondering however of I may have missed blockage in the carburetor preventing it from getting fuel. Ill clean it thoroughly again. Also thanks for the advice on the governor spring. The springs seem ok, my problem is not being able to adjust the governor screw period. It is basically stuck in place...Do you know what size shaft these motors have. I am teaching myself how to work on my machine and thinking eventually I may drop a brand new motor in her...I found a 16hp Vtwin Briggs Stratton with a 1 inch shaft for a good price. Just wondering if the shaft are the same on my engine and the engine I am looking at...Also since I am new at this does replacing an old 16 hp Vtwin with a new one going to be an issue?

1” shaft. Swapping should not matter. In the process of putting a modified 670 predator in mine.

Excellent...Thank you...I think I may just swap in a new motor then but first want to get her running again...

Curious if you could answer me another question. I have a 2004 Argo with a 18 hp Briggs Stratton Vtwin. Actually posted it for sale on here. It has tons of extras but I just don't like it as much as I do my Max 2. Since I am knew at alot of this I am not really sure what to sell it for but that is beside the point. Honestly was thinking about instead of selling it dropping it's 18hp Briggs Stratton Vtwin into my Max 2. Are their any issues with using a bigger Briggs in my Max 2. The Argo motor seems exactly the same except for the 2 extra horses. Seems a waste of an Argo but the engine is top knotch and I really love my Max 2....Think giving it a new heart would be great....Even if it meant sacrificing the Argos motor? Also wouldn't have to buy a new engine. Curious what someone doing an engine swap on a Max 2 thinks...????

There really isn't much of a difference in 2hp. I have a friend with a 40hp in his Max II. If you can dream it, it can be done.

Excellent...I figured two more horses isn't a big deal and also figured the engine would be a nice fit...Not sure if I'll swap the engine out for the 18hp but it's definitely might do that....Thanks again for the advice...

Be sure you are not pinching the fuel line between the body halves

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I just replaced all the fuel line just to insure it wasn't the issue. Nothing is pinched especially now. Have new fule pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and everything I could think of. Still cant get the throttle arm to function properly. I was again told the governor arm needed adjusting but it seems pretty impossibly to move there for I cant see itvbeingbthe issie. The carb looks clean...I am at a loss for why she qont start up...Well she qill turn over for a short time and run for a few seconds if I spray starting fluid into the carb...A bot frustrated bit Ill keep at it....

+ Reply to Thread