Installing Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing Tracks

Installing Tracks

After years of struggle I have found an easy way of putting on my tracks for the winter. I used a strap with a ratchet buckle like truckers use to tie down their load. The one I bought has a ratchet permanently attached to one end and you thread the loose end into the ratchet and tighten it down. The tie down compresses the track so you can easily insert the rod that connects the ends of the track.
    Here is the process:
    1. Lay the strap on the ground
    2. Lay the track on top of the strap leaving the ratchet just past the end of the track.
    On ground.jpg
    3. Let all the air out of the rear tire.
    4. Back the Argo onto the track starting at the end opposite the buckle and stopping just as the end of the track comes out from under the front tire.
    5. Bring the other end of the track and the strap with buckle up and over the tires to the front.
    Front.jpg
    6. Make sure the strap is centered on the track and straight
    7. Insert the loose end of the strap into the ratchet and tighten it up until the holes in ends of the track align and you can insert the rod.
    buckle.jpg
    8. Insert the washer and cotter pin on the rod, re-inflate the back tire, undo the ratchet and drive off. You are done!

If you bolt a D-ring to the ice claws closest to the splice , a total of 4 you can use 2 shorter ratchet straps .
    Once you get the track rolled over like you said you hook the 2 ratchet straps to the D-rings .
    Ratchet them snug and close the ratchet , drive the track forward a complete revolution , tighten the ratchets .
    You may have to do this a couple of times forward and back . A little bit of practice and it should only take a couple of revolutions .
    I have track windows in my track so for me I took and opened the hooks up a little more on the straps .
    Just another options , seen a guy do it your way and he was a master at it

a bob , i like that procedure cause your compressing both the front and rear tires directly with the strap ... thanks , i'm going to try it . j.b.

I am curious Hawkster. Why do you need to drive forward and back?
    Last edited by Avenger Bob; 11-23-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Good luck JB

That is pretty much how I've always done mine, except I have always dropped the air out of all the tires. The front and rear ones definitely get squashed with the strap. I'll have to try it with only deflating the rear tire.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner . Depending on the condition you could put the tracks on without deflating the tires , like say out in the field . Driving it back and forth let's the ratchet straps pull it together easier without getting Western with them . It helps the ends walk together .

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner . Depending on the condition you could put the tracks on without deflating the tires , like say out in the field . Driving it back and forth let's the ratchet straps pull it together easier without getting Western with them . It helps the ends walk together .
    Thanks Hawkster. Now I get it.

+ Reply to Thread