Argo 6x6 brakes sticking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 6x6 brakes sticking

Argo 6x6 brakes sticking

I just acquired a 93 Vanguard. On a recent outing i noticed that the brakes were sticking on. I had to push the threaded adjust parts in with my foot to get them back to neutral. Is this a lubrication problem, or do the return springs need to be stronger? The weather was cold about 0.
    "Fishing is not a sport, it's an instinct"
    Capt Peter Dahl

I don't get why you don't have hydraulic brakes on that unit, I thought ARGO had updated years ago and they were all thats been used now??? If you are running OLD SCHOOL mechanical breaks, I would just check for grease/dirt build up, that and the cold weather could cause your headache, If they are Hydraulic, its time to re-build the calipers and brake master cylinders, the kits are cheap and the process is painless.

Hookertoo,
    My 6x6 has mechanical brakes also. I took out the firewall and removed the sticks from the shaft. Cleaned them up real good and then applied a light coating of synthetic grease on the shaft. Reassembled and haven't had any problems since. Have been thinking of installing grease fittings though.
    Bushpig, Argo still used mechanical brakes in some models into the early 2000,s. You could order either mechanical or hydraulic brakes.
    Cheers,
    Al

vanguard=mechanical

vanguard II= hyd

guess they have to keep a cheap base model in their line up, like the current frontier, with a (drum roll...) 14 hp briggs

Yes they are mechanical. I sprayed some lubricant at the squeaky part and it freed it up temporarily. Now it's back to sticking. When the weather warms up I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it up. Is there a conversion kit to go to hydraulic ?
    Capt Peter Dahl

You can do almost anything to an ARGO...I Have equipped one with motor cycle calipers before today...Check your linkages and see if anything is bent from being jerked on....Just have a look, things should be in a straight line,(if it is straight) pull your brake assembly apart, if its mechanical, its just the firewall and two bolts, clean it all up, You can't fit two springs behind them shoes if thats your plan, but we have cut them in half before today, waste of time.
    O.D.G spent a ton of money designing that system, so why try modify...I think something is a bit bent somewhere is all..A quick look and a quick Pry or twist is all it needs....hope that helps...

Plus I guess I never got past owning an 84 in my line-up, so although I look longingly when a newer one drives by on a trailor, I'm very happy with my 84 twin 18hp 8 and my "freebie" 83 16hp heavy duty 8...I first touched an ARGO
    back in 1977 and have owned one ever since, still have my original body and parts ect......

Thanks

Your probably right about not needing to modify what I have. I have been wanting an Argo for about 15yrs, just never got motivated enough to go our and find one before. I am a happy Argo owner.
    Capt Peter Dahl

Did you have a peek at your system, other than a bent component, they could be binding on the linkage adjustment do you have a couple of washers backing the nut on yout adjusting rod, there should be a couple there, they generally always get removed or lost on an older rig..I can't really think of any other issue you could be having. They sound like the newer style mechanical, which should mean they have a cast boss at one end of the shoe then your two mounting bolts..older styles had a square head adjusting screw there to parrallel the shoe (it was such a pain they finally did away with it) I know what you mean about wanting one..I have had one since 1976
    and ever since, I have wanted 2..The Only Thing better than an ARGO is another argo, well thanks to a kind neighbour my dream came true on my 46 b-day..He GAVE me a factory original decals and all, 1983 Argo 8, 16 hp heavy duty Techumseh, duel chained, greasable bearings...Whoo hoo, Best wishes with you new Toy...

+ Reply to Thread