Argo 6x6 w/Techumseh OH160 170078A

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 6x6 w/Techumseh OH160 170078A

Argo 6x6 w/Techumseh OH160 170078A

Hi there. I'm new to the forum - new to any forum for that matter ;-) So this would be my first post, and I'm not sure where these types of posts should go. Forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.

Anyways, I joined a couple months back when I purchased a '79 6x6 Argo, and have really enjoyed reading the boards. My question at the moment is - and forgive me if its been addressed already, but I can't find anything on my search criteria.

Like I said, I have a '79 Argo with a Tecumseh 170078A-OH160 engine. I am looking to soon either rebuild the engine / carb, but was wondering if there is a suitable simple bold-on replacement engine I can just swap in ? Maybe something with a bit more power, but not require any further alterations or shimming etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Smile rebuilding

I have a 1984 tecom that i am rebuilding and i have the same idea.I bought a vanguard 18hp with clutch and muffler attached.The orginal exsuast i will leave in place.I am hopeing the engine will bolt in without any mods.not any help for you rirht know,but will update or pass on any info as i come accross it.kirk

Welcome to the board even though you have been reading on here a little while! My buddy and I have an old Attex 6x6 that had an old Chaparral 2-stroke, and my buddy and we are installing an 18 hp Briggs. I would highly recommend looking into a Briggs Vanguard engine as it has sufficient power and great torque, and parts are at any lawnmower shop. Some users on here get the Bandolero Briggs, which is an 18 hp stroked out to 30 hp, and it's cheaper too. Perhaps these guys can chime in with their advice...

Hey there cyal8r,
    Welcome aboard and congrats on the 6x6. I have a 83 Argo 6x6 that had the 16HP Tecumseh engine and changed it over to a 18HP Briggs last spring. To get the engine to set in properly I used a hole saw to cut four new holes in the motor plate to set the engine off to the right side. That would be the right side as you are sitting in the 6x6. I also had to cut about 1 inch from the front of the engine opening to clear the valve cover on the front cylinder. I used the same clutch from the 16HP Tech and the exhaust pipe to the muffler. I modified the new exhaust that came with the Briggs, so it goes 2 into 1. I measured the centre to centre distance between clutches and the offset so I could use the drive belt.
    This setup works real good, except that I have to make a new hood because the engine is about 1 to 1.5 inches higher.
    Hope this info helps you guys. I haven't posted any pictures yet, but could probably e-mail some to you.
    Cheers,

Al

Cyal8R...There are so many Mods out there, Engine wise, where do you begin.
    YOu could probably upgrade to an 18 or 20 hp Kohler engine the easiest, you really need to be careful in the exhaust pipe department ,I have seen so many mods fail as well as grossly melted upper/lower bodies due to improper installation, For me I would Go the Kohler route..Will cut down on all kids of cutting ect, it will fit into the engine compartment quite nicely and the venting for the exhaust is almost identical..Good luck with your RIG, You will enjoy it.

You will be much happier with a new engine as opposed to rebuilding the Tech. the parts are expensive......if you can find them and still be under powered. I put an m18 Kohler in my 83 6x6. Had to do a lot of mods and fab up a new hood out of Fiberglass. It sounds harder than it is to swap engines. Take your time and ask lots of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by spits View Post
    I put an m18 Kohler in my 83 6x6. Had to do a lot of mods and fab up a new hood out of Fiberglass. It sounds harder than it is to swap engines.
    Could you post up some pictures in the gallery of how the Kohler looks inside the machine and of the new hood?

Max 6 Wheel Drive

look in the gallery under Argo hood by spits. I'll try to get some more pics as soon as I can find them.

Thanks spits. Looks good.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

I agree with you spits. I found it to be a matter of plan, measure, measure and measure first, then go ahead and work your plan. I too have to build a new hood for my 83. It has been mocked up and my cousin is in the process of building it. I will post more photos when it is done. My Briggs 16 HP is far better then my Tech ever was. I also fabbed a remote oil filter mount because the the filter mounted on the engine ran into my drive belt. Will post photos of it as well when I get back home from trip.
    Cheers,
    Al

+ Reply to Thread