Frontier 650 question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frontier 650 question

Frontier 650 question

I have a 2010 Frontier 650 23hp Briggs and Stratton. Have starting question. When engine sits for 4 or 5 days, when I go to start it, it seems to turn over alot before it starts. I pulled the choke out all the way, give it 1/4 throttle, turns over for 20 or 30 seconds, won't fire. If I wait 30 seconds, to cool starter, try again and it usually fires up.
    Has anyone got a different firing procedure when cold? Once it has started, it starts again easily all day. Just wondering if fuel runs back to tank when sitting? Tank is lower than fuel pump. On my riding lawn mower, fuel tank is higher than fuel pump and it starts right away. I had a 20hp Kawasaki in my last Argo, it had an electric fuel pump and would start up without a problem. Just wondering if maybe I could put a big primer bulb on fuel line and when it was cold, primed it a fuel times to pump fuel to the pump - would it start easier or would it blow a diaphragm or something else. I realize that the vacuum from the motor sucks fuel to the pump.

The primer bulb or a small electric fuel pump won't hurt it
    Slim

Quote Originally Posted by RWT View Post
    I have a 2010 Frontier 650 23hp Briggs and Stratton. Have starting question. When engine sits for 4 or 5 days, when I go to start it, it seems to turn over alot before it starts. I pulled the choke out all the way, give it 1/4 throttle, turns over for 20 or 30 seconds, won't fire. If I wait 30 seconds, to cool starter, try again and it usually fires up.
    Has anyone got a different firing procedure when cold? Once it has started, it starts again easily all day. Just wondering if fuel runs back to tank when sitting? Tank is lower than fuel pump. On my riding lawn mower, fuel tank is higher than fuel pump and it starts right away. I had a 20hp Kawasaki in my last Argo, it had an electric fuel pump and would start up without a problem. Just wondering if maybe I could put a big primer bulb on fuel line and when it was cold, primed it a fuel times to pump fuel to the pump - would it start easier or would it blow a diaphragm or something else. I realize that the vacuum from the motor sucks fuel to the pump.

Pull the choke all the way out, open the throttle all the way, close the throttle and then crank it. It Will fire right up. As soon as it fires give it a little gas, if it stalls, repeat the open choke, full throttle , close throttle, crank. After the engine fires and is warn if you are out on the trail and shut it down for a couple of minutes, open the choke 1/4, full throttle, close crank and then feather the throttle as it starts. If the engine is warm, open full throttle close and then crank, if you do this the engine will fire every time without problem, if you don't the engine is a bear. This of course has to do with lean burn and emissions- This technique works for me every time, let me know if there is a problem by sending me a private message.

+ Reply to Thread