Argo in a pickup bed anyone do that??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo in a pickup bed anyone do that??

Argo in a pickup bed anyone do that??

Anyone pulled your Argo into a pickup bed?? I have an 8 ft bed and a 07 Frontier which is 8 ft long. I know they have to drive over the wheel wells but is it ok to drive it around with it up in the air like that if it's sitting on the wheel wells?? Just curious if anyone has done that.

Dennis
    "Let's Roll" when he used to wake me up in the mornings for school in the 50's.
    My Dad, Utah Beach D-day vet, 79th Inf Div

i do not know about a argo but i put our max in the truck bed all the time to go different places robbie .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I had my Frontier in my buddy's long bed pickup last year for moose hunting. I made some ramps that go over the wheel wells to keep it flat and level. I worked very well and didn't move an inch on our 13 hour drive. I had two straps on the front axles of the Frontier going down between the the bed and the tailgate to attach on the frame of the truck. Two more straps on a shackle on the rear hitch of the Frontier (could have used the axles again) between the bed and the cab to attach to the frame.

With my 6.5' bed F150, I use a trailer. I had it in the back of my truck just to try it once but I found that the problem was finding spots to strap it down.

i do the same thing with the ramps to get my terra tiger in the back of my 6' dakota. works great!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

BC Steve

Hey man how ya doin?? Thanks for the reply. You wouldn't happen to have a closeup pic of your ramp setup inside your bed would you with or without the Argo on it?? Thanks for sending the pic of it on your truck tho, looks like a steep climb for the Argo though.

You can take the tailgate off , and put your ramps on the bumper of the pickup. This lowers the climb by about 6-8 inches or more. Then put your tailgate back on after its loaded if ya want. Less strain on the tailgate.

had mine in back of 90 f150,just went over wheel well on 1 side

Here are a few pics of a Bigfoot in my truck. I use two pallets to raise the vehicle just enough to drive over the wheel wells. Be sure to use some good quality, LONG ramps and secure them to the truck so they can't be kicked out. You have to be very careful loading the Argo in a truck bed so you don't damage anything or have an accident.
    Attached Images
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

MaxRules

Your suggestion seems to be the easiest way w/o building ramps, utilizing pallets. I don't know if I can do the pallet thing tho with the Argo, in that the Argo is 58" wide and my bed is 60" wide, I'd have to have 60" wide pallets in the front and build something for the rear tire behind the wheel well. I do have a front yard that slopes upward. My ton 4wd Dodge Dooley truck is really high compared to a stock 4 wd 1500 or even a 2500, it's a couple inches higher, so I could back it up to the slope and utilize the sloped front yard to lessen the steep angle but the pallets would be a good idea if the darn thing wasn't so wide. Yes safety first when loading an Argo. Not cheap to fix if something slipped. I bought some 85" ramps from Costco when I bought the Argo which will help also.

Thanks guys and
    Maxrules for the pics.

Dennis
    Last edited by bearclaw46; 06-25-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Just a heads up:

Those of you loading AATV's in pick up beds are taking a huge risk! I have been working as a mechanic for some time now and seen some severe damage to trucks, people, and ATV's. The average pickup tailgate is only rated at 500lbs, and under!!!! If you are loading across the tail gate you are taking a huge risk evry time!!!! I have seen huge loads on tailgates with no adverse outcome, but on occasion I have seen loads just shy of 400lbs pop a tailgate strap! It only takes one strap,and the other is like a domino!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

+ Reply to Thread