New Argo magnum member! problem with charging system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Argo magnum member! problem with charging system

New Argo magnum member! problem with charging system

Hey everyone, I just picked up an Argo Magnum18 V890-23. I have been reading this forum quite a bit and decided to join. I have had a couple problems but manage to get them fixed. I also am having leaks on some tires around the rim, and from reading a thread I'm going to try slime.

The new problem is charging, my first battery is now killed. My second battery, Optima Yellow top (big one) lasted for three weeks. We used it to go ice fishing twice in three weeks for hours and never had a problem (never using winch or lights). One morning we started it up to go fishing, it started a little slow, we turned it off before we left, and 10 minutes later could not get it to start. We charged the battery and it started no problem. The battery gauge reads 11 volts consistently when running, drops to 10 when lights are on. I believe the battery is not getting charged, what should I be looking for in my charging system that’s causing the problem? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks, here is a picture

I read about alternator kits, but that’s my last resort.

Hi dan, welcome to the site. What engine do you have? Most likely you can just replace your voltage regulator but before you do, trace all of your wiring and make sure everything is connected properly.

welcome to the site dan.lots of good folks here with tons of knowledge.man that shoreline in the picture looks awfull familiar.i think i can see the CKVR tower.

Hi, thanks. I'm not sure, I cant find any serial number on the engine, the only thing written on it is Kohler Magnum 18 and the ID is V890-23. I checked the wiring and everything looks connected as from what I can tell from the wiring diagram. Is there a way to check the voltage regulator or should I just try and replace it?

Hey plott hound, I'm on cooks bay, we drive right to the lake. I have noticed two other Argos out on the lake so far.
    Last edited by danbattista; 03-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.

"Hey plott hound, I'm on cooks bay, we drive right to the lake. I have noticed two other Argos out on the lake so far."

thought that picture was on simcoe,im at big bay point.not sure how to check a voltage regulator but for the price of it just chuck a new one on.im sure some other members here can help you out more,im limited in electrical knowledge.

i replaced the battery in my bigfoot when it died. i thought it was an old battery and no way to tell it's age. after reading the operators manual and researching the wealth of knowledge here, it seems the battery doesn't get charged unless the throttle is at 75% open. i was letting the thing idle on several occassions and not running it around so i drained the battery. the original baattery probably just needed a charge but oh well. my volt meter runs about 13 consistently and i haven't had a problem since. don't know if it helps, i'm sure you'll get better advice soon.
    trevor

If the conductors are fine, your meter should be showing more than 12V. Most of the time it is 13-14. This, like trevor mentioned, only happens at higher RPM so if you open the throttle up in neutral, you should see the meter move over the 12V mark. Does it move at all?

Hey, thanks for the replies. I used a meter and the battery only reads 11.70 when the Argo is off, when on it stays the same reading. When I open the throttle, it still does not change. I try the lights when the Argo is on and it goes down to 11.40. After turning the Argo off from letting it run about 5 minutes, the battery now reads 11.60.

So it seems like the regulator is not working at all?

I know my battery is good, I think it's only reading 11.70 when off, because I used the Argo for 10 minutes driving around the other day after fully charging it.

OK,first of all:Welcome to the forum!
    Second:since you got a Kohler engine and no alternator kit (quoting your own words),than it means that your engine is equipped with an internal charging system.You might haven´t read the tread were we helped a member with a Kawi engine,that had a similar charging system,so I will try to get trough you with yours from the beginning.
    First:just to change components on a try and error base will most likely be costly and even if successful,it leaves the bad taste of money waste (that´s at least what I would feel).
    To understand your system,you got to know what components are involved,so:you got a stator coil attached to the fan-side of the engine.Around this coil moves the fan "bowl",wich has fins on the outside and permanent magnets on the inside,facing the coil.
    When the magnets are moved around the coil,electricity in form of a AC-current is produced.The Kohler spec states a voltage of greater than 23 volts (I am not completely sure but I think it was about that) at 3000 rpm.
    To check the coil:unplug the two wires (the outer ones)at the rectifier and measure the voltage in line on AC.Reading should be greater than 23 volts
    This AC current is feed into the rectifier.Two wires go "in",coming from the coil and one wire is going out,feeding the battery.This current should have a voltage from 13 to 15 volts (depending on the rpm).
    Any resistance in the ignition lock has a negative effect on the rectifier!

What tires are you running on your machine?They look quite cool.

+ Reply to Thread