Brook Crossing?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brook Crossing?

Brook Crossing?

Hey guys, I have one of those questions a guy doesn't really want to ask, but what the heck I have no pride. When I cross our meadow with my 8x8 Argo there is a deep little brook which is approx. 3' deep x3' wide. I'm just waiting to get stuck in it.I have my tracks on which I'm sure without, I would be stuck.The way I've been crossing is, I back across so I don't do a hard nosedive into the bank, then use the momentum when the front drops in.Let me tell ya. She's almost standing straight up for a moment or two.If and when I do get stuck, there is nothing to hook the winch to for 100 yards each way. I did consider angling across??? Lets hear some different ideas.

THANKS, MIKE

Angles can be good with the length of the 8 wheeler. Might be a good idea to carry some kind of an anchor point you could hammer in or bury.. or the self "burying" kind.

Be careful, I've seen a 6 wheeler flood itself on the edge of a steep shore by water pouring in the engine vents. I was on an "angle".

If its only 3 foot wide, maybe some 5' planks. It be a pain in the rear hitch area though.

Sounds like you need to video tape it standing up. Sounds like it would be fun to watch.

My first thought was planks also. It wouldn't be a big deal to carry them with me. what are these self burying kind of anchors?As far as the machine standing straight up,it's hard to tell.it sure feels like it is when I'm looking in the brook through the windshield and whatever is in the back seems to become air born briefly.The next time i cross I'll see if my uncle will video it for me.

MIKE

Roger is talking about something like this. I just did a search for winch anchor and found this one. I really don't know anything about them other then when you pull it digs in.

Pull-Pal winch anchoring device for 4x4s, Jeeps, SUV, ATV, off-road, military use

Most of us won't want to carry or pay for the real pull pal, but it's the general idea. I've heard of using a danforth anchor that buries itself. Depends on what kind of earth you have to deal with. Browsing 4 wheel or atv sites sites brings interesting ideas. One was 3 pieces of metal strap triangled together and staked to ground. All kinds of ideas out there for a guy travelling alone.

Thanks guys, something like that would be quite comforting when travelling alone.I have some scrap metal kicking around here, so it shouldn't be to hard to make and doesn't even have to be pretty either

Hi Mike,A moble home anchor works good,And cheap.

Me and member yellowargo made a simple grapling hook out of a pice if 1/2 inch round bar about 14 inchies long and 3 pices of scrap reabar bent and welded on the top it worked quite well. It will grab into thick weeds and into rock and roots on the bottom of ponds and mut pits. I will try to git a pic.
    Hope this helps

Thanks guys,very helpful tips.I'm not sure what a moble home anchor is.Is it possible to get a picture?

+ Reply to Thread