Argo in a pickup bed anyone do that??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argo in a pickup bed anyone do that??

i load ours in a ditch or from a bank . so the tal gate has verrl little to fall. if i hse ramps i take the tail gate off lowers the hight.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

If ya want to be totaly safe.... take tailgate off.. put ramps on bumper .. and winch atv into pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by doccerny View Post
    If ya want to be totaly safe.... take tailgate off.. put ramps on bumper .. and winch atv into pickup.

Not a bad solution! I have concerns about winching in a AATV also! I have had a few close calls in 4x4's, and am about to swap out to synthetic rope for winching! It's far safer!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Yip, Im looking at winches for my flatbed buggy. I have to have one to load it because Im a little over 12 ft. total length, and standing up on the very back. You dont think that would be scary.. loading that beast , riding on the back and having a hand clutch! Ive got it figured for taking off the tailgate and using 9 ft. ramps for loading on flat ground. Probably gunna buy a 4000lb winch off ebay.

Argo in Truck and Storage too!

With a little configuration I was able to build a platform so that my Argo would sit on the platform inside the bed of my truck while leaving me space under the Argo for storage. Once I tied it down, it worked great. I removed my tailgate and hooked ramps to the platform and drove the Argo onto the platform. I have a toolbox by my back window which gave me enough space that the Argo didn't touch the window. Took my Argo on a hunting trip which took 11 1/2 hours and the Argo never moved an inch.

Richard
    Last edited by Rich; 07-12-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Bone Collector

The cheapest way to do this is a platform in the bed securing the machine to the bed itself, ramps on the tailgate are a bad idea (think we all know this, hopefully).
    I have a set of ramps that were made by a friend who had them set up in his 92F150 and hauled an older Argo Magnum 8x8 in it ( he only went 10-20 miles with it and worked great), I bolted them in my 94 f250 and hauled many different machines with them with no problems on trips from 10mi to 1000 mi round trips.
    The reason I wanted these so bad was the initial design they are made of angle iron welded about a ft wide with expanded metal with 2 support legs, they are bolted into the truck at the headboard and floorboard behind the tailgate so it can still be closed. I can haul any 6x6 with the tailgate closed and an 8x8 with the tailgate off using the 6 front wheels ( rear 2 hang over ramps). He also built stops into the ramps to save the back of the cab ( anyone who's blown out a back window or dented the cab knows why) and a 2 inch ratchet strap is welded in to the ramps for tying the machine in and the wrap around the 3 axles, I also add a safety strap to each end. I've been using these ramps since 1994, they have been in 3 90's F series and are currently modified to fit in my 2000 f350 with a toolbox in it, I am going to convert them to fit onto my 5th wheel rails just for my ease in installation, they are removable now in about a half hour but 4 pins is nice too.
    If I can find a picture I'll post it.

um, ya loading any wheeled machine in a bed on ramps can be a gamble . i bought a new john deere riding lawn mower about 10 years ago and drove it up ramps into my ford f-150 (well i almost did) the deck caught the ends of the ramps and stopped the jd as i was on the unit messing around (at the top of the ramps) one ramp kicked out .
    WOW that was a ride that sucked ! dident turn out well for me or my jd
    once some of the pain was gone about a week later i bought a trailer and iv kept one around sence.

i wouldent ever want to witness a ramp kick out on a 6x6 or 8x8 that would get real ugly real fast.
    whats a four stroke ? you mean they make low h.p. motors that dont smoke ? who wants that ????
    like Henry FORD iv always got a better way

I load my Argo in the truck all the time even with a whole moose in it.
    What is not shown is the T Bar I slip into my hitch receiver the ramps hook to this so no weight on T gate.
    The box ramps hook to the front of the box at an angle . a word of warning the newer trucks boxes taper narrower from front to back.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread