Greasing my Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greasing my Argo

Couldn't get link to attach to the post, try again.

Grease Gun with Pistol Grip

I ran remote lines to all the bearings on my conquest when I had it. I drilled and tapped the bearing flanges, sealed all the flanges together with RTV grease, and used 1/8" pipe fittings and small air brake line to build the lines. I ran everything into the engine bay, so it was super simple to grease.

Quote Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
    I ran remote lines to all the bearings on my conquest when I had it. I drilled and tapped the bearing flanges, sealed all the flanges together with RTV grease, and used 1/8" pipe fittings and small air brake line to build the lines. I ran everything into the engine bay, so it was super simple to grease.
    sounds like a good idea, so what you're saying is there are no more zerks on the outside. You moved them all to the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6operator View Post
    Headed out to buy a cordless power grease gun today.
    Is there a particular grease that can recommended?
    The "red grease" I buy at my local TSC gets very stiff at cold temps (above freezing) & will boil out of the gun & zerks on my various equipment during the summer months in my shop.
    With the Argo having so many grease zerks & moving parts, I don't want to skimp on the grease.

Also has anyone ran remotes on the Argo or other AATV for easier greasing?
    Which Brand of Grease did you get at TC?

I ended up buying the marine grease "green in color" & a pistol grip style grease gun with a 24" flexible extension.
    Made getting to all the grease fittings on my Vanguard II relatively easy with two hands.

The red grease I have may have come from work, some generic bulk stuff they buy for all the equipment.
    Feels like glue in our moderate cold temps, & almost liquefies above 80....junk.
    Stephen, from Northern IN

Just make sure the grease is compatible with what is in your machine (check a compatibility chart). An incompatible grease will result in it rapidly degrading and running out usually wrecking the bearing.

Also, I would use a hand grease gun, that allows you to feel when you start to pressure up which prevents blown seals which also leads to wrecked bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6operator View Post
    I ended up buying the marine grease "green in color" & a pistol grip style grease gun with a 24" flexible extension.
    Made getting to all the grease fittings on my Vanguard II relatively easy with two hands.

The red grease I have may have come from work, some generic bulk stuff they buy for all the equipment.
    Feels like glue in our moderate cold temps, & almost liquefies above 80....junk.
    Glad you like that grease gun. I got turned on to them when I used to fly a helicopter.

+ Reply to Thread