Replacing vs. shortening chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing vs. shortening chains

Replacing vs. shortening chains

My longest drive chain is very loose. Is it okay to remove a link or should I replace it?

Replace. The pitch of the chain no longer matches the pitch of the sprockets and will wear your sprockets.

I understand what JohnF is saying but I have 225 hours on my Response and none of the chains are stretched enough to hit the frame members yet but they are getting close. I figure the chains ODG use of are of high quality and since these chains have been perfectly maintained I figure that maybe I will look into installing half links to extend the life of the chains. Maybe someone can comment on this being possible or will half links shorten them too much.
    After the game the King and the Pawn end up in the same Box!

I think you'll find a 1/2 link is way too short/long on an argo with no chain adjustment.

Be sure your chains are properly lubricated when checking length or adjusting them, as the film of lubricant fills the clearances around the pins, and the chain will be shorter, or tighter than when it is dry.
    1 Hustler 880, 1.5 Coots, formerly an Imp Kadoo

replace

Replace them, I just bought some double 50 in 10 ft rolls @ $55 a roll from motion ind. Look them up on line I also lookes at getting them from shoup but motion had a dealer in town.

55 is cheap, does it have a brand name? Let us know how it holds up.

thanks. are all rc 50-2 the same. i am not sure what you mean by the pitch of a chain.

I havn't seen different types of double 50, unlike other pitches. Pitch is the "size" of chain, sort of. The first letter, 5, means 5 eights inch between pins.

This is a good little reference to chain and sprockets selection and explains what pitch is. Hope this will help.

Notes on Sprockets and Chains

+ Reply to Thread