What Not To Do In An Argo or Any AATV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Not To Do In An Argo or Any AATV

What Not To Do In An Argo or Any AATV

Here is a slide show that I put together, that illustrates "What not to do in an Argo". This was shot in April/2010 at RicK Merkley's Spring Ride. Lucky that no one was hurt, except Cam's Frontier.

good one BW6.very funny stuff.

oh noooooooo i thought i was the onily one . check out page 9 of the apr busco thread my nephew sunk my max II trying to come out of the hole at busco not his fault . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Lol nice video BW6!!!
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Seems like April 2010 was the month of sinking AATV's.

Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Seems like April 2010 was the month of sinking AATV's.

Bridget
    Yes, but fortunalely, it doesn't happen that often. Rarely do you see footage of it. Lessons learned from an Argo point of view, don't allow anyone to stand in the back and climb out. I think they have a decal saying max. 140 lbs. in the rear compartment. But we don't need "no stinkn warnings", LOL

Hey Bw6,
    Actually the decal stated 150 lbs and Tim is 150 lbs. He moved back to balance the Argo out a little better, they are bit heavy in the front. He was on the front to pull start the engine, as the electrical starter/battery in that Argo wouldn't start the engine easily if a cylinder was coming up on a compression stroke on the first turn or 2 of the key. Will did not say to go in and out in the same spot until after taking the Argo to periscope depth. Cam also said that he had come out of the pond at that spot several times before. It was an unfortunate incident and I still feel quite bad about Cam's Argo. But as you stated in the photo collage, my family did get photo proof for posterity. My wife stood there with the video camera and never turned it on.
    Lesson learned.
    Cheers,
    Al

That Sinking Feeling

Hi Al, I do remember Cam telling me he did get out where you tried it, but he said he didn't have any load in the back. Anyhow glad nobody was hurt. Cam put a new seat in it, he said it would take forever to dry it out, and a carb kit, other than that it is a good as new, lol.

Don't feel bad about it Al, we all have done similar goofy things, like when I sunk the Hoot in the beaver pond (forgot to put the plug in). You would have thought I would have noticed that "sinking feeling", but not until its was too late. I rode it to the bottom, wish I would have that on film!

Thanks Ray,
    I understand what you are saying, but I am the type of guy who believes in that when you borrow something, it goes back the same or better than when you borrowed it. I remember hearing the story of the Hoot and the pond. I think Rick and Cam still have good chuckles about that one.
    Cheers,
    Al

taking the Argo to periscope depth

LOL I like that term. Is that when the headlights are at water level, or the operator's eye's

A guy in the back is ok to swim, but move up front before climbing out, and do it head on with both tires. I think the operator sunk it, trying to keep his feet dry. Well, another reason to get the avenger bigger tires, floats higher. You might have sunk it, but at least it was clean.

you know the saying.. you can drown in 2 inches of water.. well I almost did that with an 8 wheeler.. a little more than 2, but an innocent looking water filled rut, that had no bottom.

The hard starting on the frontiers.. has anyone figured it out. My ideas are loose lash on the intake valve negating the compression release. Or if the starter, clean between the commutator segments. Some of the briggs break a spring on the compression release mechanism, but the vanguard model isn't known for the problem.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread