ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

Derek--Interesting about the bead lock on the Vampires. I haven't had the problem and haven't run them in the cold yet, but will soon. I don't known if the regular Vampires have the same bead lock ast the ASXs. Might be different. I run the ASXs at 0 to 2.5PSI and don't have much of a choice beyond that. Any pressure over that and the first two tires will rub. Where stock avenger tires regularly break beads unless at 10+PSI, rocks, etc., the ASX Vampires have held. It's the same setup MightyMax, Mike and a few others have run on their Max IVs: Vampire ASXs on Max Kawasaki rims. To my knowledge, no ones managed to unseat the setup yet, swamps and all. Tearing when mounting may be the issue--they are a bear to get on there. Either way, I'll carry the spare in the winter and post if I run into the issue.

Let me know if you want to delete the governor. I cnc'd some extra arms and plates, spring shims, etc. and could use another tester. Rev limiter is a non-issue... the camming keeps the rpm from going anywhere over about 4250. It just can't breath with less than a 1/4 inch of valve lift. Why they even use a governor mechanism on a vehicle (versus a genset, etc.) is beyond me.

YEs, I would be interested in those pieces. How much do you want for them? The governor I don't mid so much, but the fact that it almost seems to kick in as soon as you hit the throttle, making it impossible to drive down a trail at at constant mid-higher RPM.

They're prototypes so not much; would appreciate getting some low temperature testing on them. :'). I'll get some pictures up over the next few days and then PM you.

The governor has always had a disconnected feel versus a direct motorcycle-style. The direct connection takes the guessing out of what the engine will be doing. The side-by-side comparison of the two mechanisms is almost commical. The governal assembly has 6 or is it 7 moving levers, with 3-4 springs, counter springs, cam levers, adjustment stops, etc. It truly looks like something designed by the Marque de Sade for torture when sitting next to a cleanly machined direct style setup.

RD,

Did you have to change the bearing extension housings for the changeover? It did not look like it in the video but my dealer thought you needed to change them. I looked at the part numbers and they appear the same but thought I would ask.

If not, can you explain why you had to put carriage bolts in the housing? There is something I am missing here. ???

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
    RD,

Did you have to change the bearing extension housings for the changeover? It did not look like it in the video but my dealer thought you needed to change them. I looked at the part numbers and they appear the same but thought I would ask.

If not, can you explain why you had to put carriage bolts in the housing? There is something I am missing here. ???

Derek
    Hi Derek,
    No I did not have to change my Bearing Extensions. My Conquest is a 2006, if you have one that is a 2002 or older I believe they would have to be changed or machined out (2002 or older have the inner bearing retainer built in. Units with the inner bearing retainer built in only require one cork gasket, units without the inner retainer built in need a seperate inner retainer, just like the mid axles, and require 2 cork gaskets)

I did not HAVE to use Carriage Bolts, actually anything else would have been better but I could not get anything long enough (need bolts about 7" long to work). What I did was use the original Carriage bolts, but the new Outer Retainers are not made to accept Carriage Bolts, so I had to grind off the square part under the bolt head. This caused the problem that now I had no way to stop the bolt from turning when I tried to tighten them up, so I had to weld a nut on the top of each bolt.
    Very "Roundabout" way to do it, but it was the best I could do at the moment.

The new HDI Bearing Extensions are different. Instead of a bolt right through with a nut inside the body, like a Conquest, they have short bolts that go through the Outer Bearing Retainer, through the gaskets, and thread into the Bearing Extension (NO nuts on the end of the bolts, inside the body).

Hope that helps

Just a note: I will be changing out those "Bastardized" Carriage Bolts, and replacing them with "Normal" bolts, as required.
    Also, The short Carriage Bolts that were used for the mid axles had to be replaced with "Normal" bolts as well. The added thickness of the new Outer Retainers makes the original bolts too short, as well, they are not made to accept the Carriage Bolt head.

RD

FYI, if have an avenger (non-HDI) and you want to upgrade like RD did, you do not need to change the bearing extensions. They are a different part number but the only difference is that instead of the bolts coming out of the housing, the new ones have threaded holes. It is easy to change the set up of the older ones to accomodate the new style housing.

Second point, I put tubes in all the vampire tires. Love'em, can run 1psi with no problem.

Derek

Just an Update.

I changed out one set of mid-axles on my Avenger to the HDI bearings. Dealers have a kit available. You do not have to reem the plastic out to make the retainer fit as per the conquest. Whether this is due to a different retainer or slightly different hole size on the Avenger I don't know. Actually I still had to clean up the hole with a dremmel to make it fit smooth.

Thanks again for the vid. The whole change took about an hour.

OK RD, it has been a year & 4 months since the bearings went in. Some of us, if not most of us, are curious if the HDI bearings are holding up & about how many hours are on them? Are they keeping the water out? Pro, Cons, would you do anything different?
    Thanks for all your help & research.

Rock Doctor, I signed up for this just to see how well the 24" tires would fit on my 2001 conquest. Adair Argo told me to join so I could read your posts. Now that I've already ordered and received all new stock bearings and seals, I read this post and wonder if I should go HD. I have my 227 hour CB19178 conquest that is completely apart. The tires are rotten and I have spent a small fortune for all new bearings seals brakes carb etc. Give us your recipe for a conquest this age please.

Geologic,

my 2 cents. Go for the HDI bearings. I changed my front bearing last year. No problems. Worth the extra few bucks.

Derek

+ Reply to Thread