Stuck shear pin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck shear pin

Stuck shear pin

I had to put in new shear pins on one wheel on my 83 Argo 8x8. The one side went in good but the other side got stuck half way and no matter how hard I pounded on it I couldn't get it to go in. Anyone had a simiilar problem? Does anyone have any good advice on how to easily put in and remove shear pins?

I read on here once about the same problem, and from what I remember they just drove it around the yard and it loosened itself. Hope this helps.

stuck shear pin

I found on my 83 6x6, that the holes for the pins were not exactly centered. I had to pull the pin and turn the axle 1/2 turn, and they went in easier but they were still tight enough to stay in place.

Hi watpress, I use an air chisel on all my stubborn Argo bearings and shear pins and have also started using grade 8 bolts instead. Much easier in the back country to change.

Thanks for all your replies. I drove it around a little and a piece of pin fell out from inside... probably why the new pin wouldn't go in. I squirted some WD40 in the hole and then punched the new pin out. Squirted a little WD40 on a different pin and it went right in. Hopefully it doesn't squirt out!

+ Reply to Thread