response for florida swamps and woods

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: response for florida swamps and woods

response for florida swamps and woods

I'm think about swapping my modded out for mud brute force 750 for a 1999 response. Guy says he has done a complete rebuild from ground up. Has a rack/roll cage, 10hp outboard and winch. I'm thinking this with tracks would work well for play/hunting as well with work on my hobby ( got to call it hobby as it sure isn't a profit)cattle farm. I can get anywhere on farm fast with brute, just cant carry much. Don't see much of these things in the south or I would prolly get conquest. To run tracks I understand the response needs wheel bearing extensions. Can not seem to find any for sale. Is it pricy to upgrade the response to make it ready for tracks?

You can do it, you don't NEED bearing extensions, but it does help. I would recommend that you not run tracks unless required, but some guys do. You will end up changing bearings, Seals, and Chains a little more often is all.

thanks for the reply.
    1)What does the extensions do? help take stress off of parts or give more room between tub and tracks?
    2)changing more parts? the tracks break these parts or they wear quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by quintonhall View Post
    thanks for the reply.
    1)What does the extensions do? help take stress off of parts or give more room between tub and tracks?
    2)changing more parts? the tracks break these parts or they wear quicker?
    There are 2 types of extensions:
    1) Bearing extensions for front and rear axles. These move your outer bearing further out on the axle and help take some of the stress.
    2) Axle extensions for all axles. These move your tires out further to allow for wider tracks. (Not needed with narrow tracks)

Tracks, as you can imagine, will increase stresses and wear on parts like bearings, axles, tires, and chains. You can also run into "Chain Windup" issues if you are not continually on top of your tire pressures.

Hope that helps

RD

Would going up a inch or so in tire size give close to same traction?

I've gone up 2 inches in tire size on my Conquest. I have 24" Frontier Tires and would recommend them to anyone. They are a great AATV tire, but they are a tight fit on an older Argo. If you have any "play" in your outer axle bearings the tires will rub togeather.
    They will not equal Tracks for traction.

just my 2 cents , i am thinking that an argo with tracks on can put put through most stuff out there
    while the wheel'd one can have some trouble high centerd etc, a lot of reving forward reverse etc .
    i got my avenger a few months ago and have 1400 km on it now, half with wheels half with tracks,
    and iam thinking (and i could very well be wrong ) but from what ive seen , i belive that overall the wear and tear on the machine is less with tracks then with tires, due to the calm cruising nature of tracks vs the geting stuck reverse forward of the tires.
    got stuck lots with tires , had to learn how to drive with em, takes a bit but they are fun, nimble and great in water/swamps
    tracks suck in water but not once have i been stuck ,somtimes i have been in muskeg holes going a foot a minute,
    tracks floored in high gear will move you backwards about 2 klicks an hour in water
    sunk it once on a beaver dam < that bad angle you know the one iam talking about !!>
    also theres the added protection from those willows the rabbits and beavers and brush cutters cut razor sharp that can puntcture tires,

The response bearing extensions... those alloy housings you see on the front two axles are extensions. For tracks, esp the wide tracks, you would add those on the two rear axles. Unless you need the tracks, I recommend the taller frontier tires like Rock Doctor has.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Where are loc.
    in Fla
    I know a couple of Argo dealer in North and central fla

+ Reply to Thread