Hitch mount storage rack

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hitch mount storage rack

Hitch mount storage rack

Hey all, I was trying to find some pics on these forums for a hitch mount rack. I could'nt find exactly was I was looking for. Rockdoctor had the closest to what I was looking for, but I did not want permanent mount. So here is what I came up with. Rubbermaid box is Screwed down (no messin' with ratchet straps) and will be getting gas can bracket.

Looks good and it doesn't take too much away from your departure angle. Good job.

That really is a awesome idea. Nice work! I agree with you bolting it down. Straps get to be a pain after a while.

looks very close to mine, only mine is integrated into the boat rack too.

Looks really good
    If it was mine, it might have to be a touch higher to keep from dragging when climbing out of holes. Mine sits just a bit higher, and does not stick out as far back as yours, but still touches down a bit on really sharp banked holes.
    My only concern with your design (and it may not be an issue) is turning sharp and smacking the side of your carrier into a tree.
    Are there any other attachment points other than the hitch?
    I understand that "straps" are a pain, but sometimes you just gotta strap stuff down. Have you considered welding some small chain links to your frame to hook "Bunje Straps" too?

Nice work

RD

No attachment points to hook bungies too, I have the box screwed down internally with big fender washers. The top deck is only 20" x 36" so I won't be putting anything else on it. The box and gas can are set forward so the weight holds the front down (just resting on the body, but snug enough that it won't bounce around). Thought about the clearance when turning, but most of the trails I go on are wide enough for trucks to drive on. But having said that I'am sure to hit something now LOL. The only reason I built this is to get all the straps / clevis' and stuff off the back floor and from under the kids feet. But just as any project, I'am sure it will get modified as I use it. Thanks for the feedback guys!
    If it looks like you can't make it, you probably can't, but what the hell you can call in sick tomorrow......right?

Did you weld that hitch mount yourself or can that be purchased somewhere?

I built it myself. 2" square tube 3/16" thick, 45 deg. angle up. 20" x 36" wood top, with 3/4" plywood. 1" angle iron frame, with 3/16" thick plate 6" wide, for 2" tube to mount underneath.
    If it looks like you can't make it, you probably can't, but what the hell you can call in sick tomorrow......right?

+ Reply to Thread