Half Tracks or Full Tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Half Tracks or Full Tracks?

Question Half Tracks or Full Tracks?

My 8x8 is back in commition.

What do you think is better?

Tracking an 8x8 Argo with half tracks, or full tracks for the snow?

Thanks

i would have to go full tracs because on a half track vehicle like the old army type the front wheels were for steering it allowed for track type traction without expensive and elaborate transmissions to operate the tracks i dont see how half track on an aatv would give any benifit exept keeping cost of tracks down but i am no expert just my thoghts

i would go with a set of full track its hard on the trans and chains with too diferent sizes if your in soft ground all the time its not as hard on the the argo but on hard ground it takes a beating but this is my thoughts

I bet half tracks would work best if they covered the middle two. Then the front and rear would be slightly higher and when in the snow they would push the snow under the tracks... but i have a 6x6 and no tracks

Exclamation

No, what I mean is on an 8x8 one side has 4 tires and on that side there are 2 sets of tracks-so to speak like 2 tires to a track instead of a full track for the side.

I drew a quick example---take a look.
    Attached Images

go with a single set on each side at full length, drop the rear set of chains in the machine. you will be posativly happy with this in snow. i would not split the tracks on one side
    mud and ice

I would go with a set of full tracks. You will not be dissapointed. I don't have any problems with running all drive chains. but i am curious to the theory behind it as dgh110 states.

Quote Originally Posted by mike bar View Post
    I would go with a set of full tracks. You will not be dissapointed. I don't have any problems with running all drive chains. but i am curious to the theory behind it as dgh110 states.
    I believe there is/was a trax max that was a max with only the rear drive chains attached. Larry posted something about it a few days ago in a thread talking about "what other max's are there" or something to that nature. As far as the theory, I would imagine it would start with less weight = greater power to weight ratio. Additionally. I would imagine that having all 6 wheels engaged would provide no more power to the tracks than just having 2 wheels engaged as the tracks now connect the wheels. It would not surprise me if resistance decreased while turning also, but I cannot logically explain why so I may just be crazy too. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about chimes in.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

in an argo, by dropping the rear chains, you end up have less load up on the chains, there fore extending the life of your drive chains. learned by trying it out after replaceing all of the chains. no loss in performance, maybe even a bit gain in power.
    mud and ice

Yes a gain in snow/the tracks connect the wheels, but how does that work in the summer when running tires
    ---Reverse?

+ Reply to Thread