Chain question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain question

Question Chain question

I have a 2002 Argo Bigfoot and have been replacing axle's and bearings. I have all of my chains working with the auto tensioners. Now the chains that come from the output shaft of the transmission and go to the drive axles, how much slack should there be? I dont see any form of adjustment, is there any? Mine seem like there is alot more slack than there should be. My chain could be stretched but is this common on the bigfoots (170 hrs)? Any information would be nice including chain type, size, links, pitch, ect (what ever info would be great) and if anyone has a source aside from argo that would be great.

I know on my 88 8x8 it says about an 1/8th of an inch deflection. there are bolts that lift up the transmission to tighten the chains under it. do a search for manuals on here and browse over it before you look.

Anyone else with a new machine i doubt they are the same being a decade apart- thanks though any insight is better than none.

1/8" is the general rule of thumb for most of our ATVs. If it is much more than that I would tighten them. Even with just a few hours of use chains can stretch so at 170 hours it's not uncommon to have to tighten your chains. If you are unsure try posting some pictures of the chains in question.

Well you guys where right. I adjusted and its never been so nice

is it just the two bolts on the driver side of the tranny to lift it or are ther more on the back? i have an 04 and are in need of ajustment too.

The Avenger which i have a 06 has two right under the transmission. A 04 should be about the same.

+ Reply to Thread