Conquest Engine Swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conquest Engine Swap

Conquest Engine Swap

Hey guys. Just hung up the phone with my local argo dealer. He called to see if I was interested in a new engine for my conquest. He has a 31hp engine out of a newer argo..an avenger i think, that he is looking to get rid of for next to nothing. The engine picked up a screw that was dropped into the intake. It took out the head and piston on one bank, but other than that there is supposedly no other damage. I have not yet seen the engine, or pictures, but I wanted everyones opinion on this. Obviously I need to factor in my time to rebuild the bigger engine, but do you guys think that this swap is worth it? I never asked, but are the newer 31 hp engines carbed or efi? Is this going to be a simple bolt in swap, or am i in for a ton of work? Any and all opinions would be appreciated. I am kicking this idea around for maybe a winter project after hunting season has come and gone.

If it's a 31 hp Argo, it's the Kohler Aegis LH775. Watch for added costs. It's fuel injected, which with a dealer take-off for repair may present some additional issues... normally they order a core/short block and retain the electronics, intake, exhaust, etc. I'd be sure to confirm that the engine comes with at least the EFI Module, intake with injectors, and exhaust manifold with O2 Sensor and bung. The EFI Module alone is in the $500 range. Oh, and you'd need the electronic fuel pump for the EFI, which is another $150-200. If it's missing these figure on about $1000-1500 additional unless you source non-dealer parts or get creative by fabricating exhausts, etc.

Don't forget the cost of the seemingly "small" things necessary to bring it back to a factory-quality engine. A bolt going down the intake usually means bore damage at a wall-depth that you're close if not over the tolerances for a rebore and oversize piston. I'd expect to have to buy a new cylinder bore, as well as the normal piston, rings, valves. The intake valve is going to be toast, as well as the valve seats, guide, and upper head surface. Minimally you'll need a new valve seat insert and some light TIG repair of the head to get the "dents" out. I'd also watch the connecting rod carefully--straighten and magnaflux. Pinning a piston against the head causes some rod tweaking. If you do it right, it'll be necessary to balance compression and power betwen the two cylinders. After the repair work is done, the two volumes of the heads should be equalized ("CC'd"). A piston with ring set iis about $200, new cylinder likley $350+, valves, and misc. machining... it all adds up. Likley minimum parts cost of $400 to as much as $1000 with machining.

The 31 hp Aegis and Kawasaki FD620 20hp mounts are very different, but it's not a terribly difficult swap. You'd have to fabricate a new engine mount, or as Argo calls it a "Power Pack." The Aegis mounting bolts stick up vertically from the power pack. The Kawaski's go into the bottom of the block plate horizontally. Not a big deal. Otherwise, you'd need to match the distance for the belt to work correctly, fabricate an exhaust that doesn't melt your body (baffles), and make sure you clear the hood. It's not a drop-in but with some fabrication and effort, very doable.

I have both an Avenger (non EFi) and a Conquest. I like both, but the Kawasaki engine is a really strong, nicely built engine. It's also not fuel injected, which means if you're out someplace and it quits, you have a half a chance of rigging something to get you back. Personally, for the money and effort, I wouldn't swap it out unless that EFi is a long block with everything on it, right down to the fuel pump. If you don't end up building it, drop me a line, I'd be interested in it for another project--the alternative way to go at it is to see it as an opportunity to build a custom engine, with custom pistons, non-standard overbore, hot cam, etc. For that, it would be a great opportunity.
    Last edited by Pophamrt1; 07-21-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks a lot for all the pointers, I appreciate it. I am currentley waiting to hear back from the dealer, but at least now I have some things to question him about. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread