questions from a newbie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: questions from a newbie

questions from a newbie

I just bought a 2002 Argo 16 hp. Does anyone know what name this goes by?... Bigfoot possibly?

It has no gauge for hours, but it looked to be in good shape and it ran well. I changed the oil today Really? you guys go through this every time you change oil? I'd appreciate any shortcuts. I'm assuming that the previous owner didn't like the job either as the oil was filthy.

Any other things I should be doing to this unit?

I'm sure there are guys who can ID the machine from that little info, but post a few pictures and someone will respond, usually very quickly too. As for the oil some guys siphon it. some guys seem to try to catch as much as possible from the drain plug and clean the tub afterwords.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by gravel roads View Post
    I just bought a 2002 Argo 16 hp. Does anyone know what name this goes by?... Bigfoot possibly?

It has no gauge for hours, but it looked to be in good shape and it ran well. I changed the oil today Really? you guys go through this every time you change oil? I'd appreciate any shortcuts. I'm assuming that the previous owner didn't like the job either as the oil was filthy.

Any other things I should be doing to this unit?
    Vanguard or Vanguard 2
    http://argotsc.ru/UserFiles/File/cat...rts_Manual.pdf

this is a simple oil extractor I built a while back. it is a rigid plastic drinking bottle. i drilled a hole and crammed a length of 1/4" fuel line in the hole and sealed it to the bottle with silicone. then put some 1/4 O.D. hose inside the fuel line. the 1/4 OD hose fits down the dipstick tube (all the way to the bottom of the crankcase). i put the shop vac over the opening at the top of the bottle and it draws the oil up and out the dipstick tube
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

All Bigfoots had a 18 h.p. Briggs. Vanguard 2 had hydraulic brakes. Skunkwork's parts manuals should answer many questions.

Gravel Roads, regarding the oil changing, member liflod turned me on to a sweet method. Use heavy duty ziplock bag. Feed(stuff) it down into the framework with to top positioned to catch oil from drain. then remove plug and allow oil to flow down into bag. the fluid will seek its own level in the bag and upon completion of draining zip up the bag and gently remove it. this is not a pull plug and come back latter method but requires attention during. However, I must say that I don't exactly "look forward" to the next oil change but certainly no longer "dread" it. Joe

This may be Irrelevan but big foot machines ran 25x12x9 tires. I am not sure if all did the same. But all that i have seen have this tire. The tires may have been changed. Has anyone bought a bigfoot machine (new) with tires other than imentioned?

Regarding the oil change. I assume your talking about the engine oil not the transmission. What I did on my Max II was replace the oil plug with a two inch long pipe nipple then attached a 3/8" ball valve with a 1/2" barbed to 3/8" pipe street ell on the outpu of that. Now, when it comes time to change the oil I then slip on a 1/2" flexible plastic hose on to the barbed portion and run it out the lower body drain plug hole to an awaiting container. Wala! To keep the ball valve from opening unexpectantly I safety wire it in the closed position.

I realize your motor is in the front of the machine which would make the hose path more difficult but perhaps it would still be feasible.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark m. View Post
    Regarding the oil change. I assume your talking about the engine oil not the transmission. What I did on my Max II was replace the oil plug with a two inch long pipe nipple then attached a 3/8" ball valve with a 1/2" barbed to 3/8" pipe street ell on the outpu of that. Now, when it comes time to change the oil I then slip on a 1/2" flexible plastic hose on to the barbed portion and run it out the lower body drain plug hole to an awaiting container. Wala! To keep the ball valve from opening unexpectantly I safety wire it in the closed position.

I realize your motor is in the front of the machine which would make the hose path more difficult but perhaps it would still be feasible.

Mark
    No room for nipples and valves on an argo unless you pull the engine to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    this is a simple oil extractor I built a while back. it is a rigid plastic drinking bottle. i drilled a hole and crammed a length of 1/4" fuel line in the hole and sealed it to the bottle with silicone. then put some 1/4 O.D. hose inside the fuel line. the 1/4 OD hose fits down the dipstick tube (all the way to the bottom of the crankcase). i put the shop vac over the opening at the top of the bottle and it draws the oil up and out the dipstick tube
    That's easy!
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread