Mid-80's 8x8 Argo IC...Cork Gaskets?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mid-80's 8x8 Argo IC...Cork Gaskets?

Mid-80's 8x8 Argo IC...Cork Gaskets?

I have a mid-80's 8x8 Argo IC, and just yanked my bent front axles to replace them with gusseted straight axles. When I yanked off my outer bearing I noticed there were no cork gaskets installed at all. Thinking the previous owner was a slacker, I looked at the parts manual and see there are no gaskets in the Argo explode for this model. Is that possible?

I was expecting to see, starting from the side of the body; cork, outer bearing inner plate, cork, outer bearing outer plate.

Regardless, I do have the four gaskets that I bought to do the job, so now I'm wondering whether to just throw them in there or not. Does it matter either way? Oh...and YES...I did replace the seal with a new one.

Thanks,

Planter Bob

Nice machine Bob, i love those old I/C's, yes they did come that way but i believe Argo put silicone on the carriage bolts, thyen realized it would be just as easy to add a second cork gasket, i have seen some Argo's with just the front flanges double corked and the rest siliconed single cork
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Thanks for the reply! Yep....I think I'll go body/cork/inner/silicone/outer/bolts (with silicone). That'll do it.

By the way...if anyone's wondering JUST how bent up my axles were. One had a gap in the middle between a straight edge and the axle of 5/8". Dang!

This will be a WHOLE new ride!

Planter Bob

+ Reply to Thread