Alternative motor for my 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternative motor for my 8x8

Alternative motor for my 8x8

i just bought a 88 eight wheel argo it came with a tecumseh oh160. the motor smokes a lot, the oil (i just changed) is all full of metal and the output seal leaks like crazy. i would like to put a more powerful engine in it, i might need it once i get new bigger tires (22's) and i also like to hunt in the mountians. ive thought about trying to find a oh180, so the install will go smooth. i guess i would like to know what everyone thinks of my plans or if anyone has better ideas.

hi robert,
    i'd personally recommend a swap to a briggs vanguard, a honda v-twin, or a generac engine. i would stay away from anything less than 18 hp for an 8 wheeled machine. some of the other guys on here can chime in with their recommendations.

For an 8 wheeler, I think the Briggs 23 HP is an excellent candidate. I wouldn't go with less than a 20 HP. Power and torque are always a good thing. If you watch some of the videos around, its generally the machines with oversized tires that put the best show on. To push the tires you need the power. I have an 18 HP in my Max 2 with oversized tires. Its adequate, but just a few more ponies would make it more of a beast.

noel i agree. i actually meant to say don't go for anything below 20 hp...idk where i got 18 hp from lol. a 23 briggs sounds like a great engine.

thanks for your input guys. ive had a little more time to think about it and iam going to put in a 23 or 25 hp engine. but now i have more questions like how much hp will my machine handle, will i start breaking other parts like axels. where is a good place to buy a briggs i live in yukon but i get a good shipping rate out of edmonton. also iam wondering if others have done this and how the exhaust plumbing went.

thanks

how about you try the new 50hp inline 3 EFI from John Deere? lol seriously though you can fit any engine in but the hard part is exhaust which all depends on what model you have? when i do swaps i make a little muffler out of steel like a little Flomaster and space it evenly in the heat sheild and simply bend a peice of tailpipe accordingly to the exit hole, just let us know if you need help
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

+ Reply to Thread