for swimming, how big of an outboard is required? 8x8 argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: for swimming, how big of an outboard is required? 8x8 argo

for swimming, how big of an outboard is required? 8x8 argo

when i drive my argo into the marsh for goose hunting, the runamucks are OK for travelling in the water. the tires are reversed (as recommended by argo) so thats correct, and the argo is maneuverable, but I'm thinking of getting a small outboard. Tomorrow I'm looking at a 4.5HP merc longshaft 2 stroke. Would that be adequate? what is recommended? The marsh is only about a quarter of a mile large and 3 or 4 feet deep at most.

What are other guys running?

thanks,
    john

I am running a 4-stroke 9.9 Marier long shaft. It does well.

Is a longshaft required???

I looked at the longshaft 4.5HP merc today and it looks good but I don't want it to be TOO deep in the water... it is exactly 2 feet from the top of the mounting saddle to the horizontal flat blades (that the water level must be up to).

Prior to buying the 9.9 i tried a short shaft for a day or so. The result was that there is not enough depth for the prop and with the tires and body contour, cavitation of the prop will not allow you to sustain any type of speed or thrust. You have to sneak up on the trottle. Long shaft is the way to go in my opinion. If you know somone with a short shaft which is pretty common try it out on your machine and this may help you to decide.

+ Reply to Thread