Need some buying advice/transmission question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some buying advice/transmission question

Need some buying advice/transmission question

Hi all, I came across a Conquest, either '98 or '99. It has a factory rollcage, motor and body are in good shape but accroding to the seller the transmission has issues. He says "the transmission has been acting up like there is a gear inside that needs replacing or something as it drives forward in the high speed but doesnt want to go in low or reverse". He's looking to get $2500 - which is the max I'd want to pay for any aatv right now. I don't mind doing the labor if it needs a tranny rebuild - will the cost of parts kill me? Any advice appreciated...

A replacement trans from ODG is about $2k The trans is easy to rebuild the price looks right if the chassis is OK. Find out how many hours are on it and if any of the chains and bearings have been replaced. for the age it should have had at least one bearing and chain overhaul unless the hours are low (under 200). If the trans is shot because of neglect or abuse the rest of the unit may be also then the price would be half that.

Jersey is right. The transmission is around 2K and if there are other issues your price keeps going up. Tires are they in good shape? See if he has a maintenance record on the machine or a dealer that has done the maintenance. Clutches are they any good. Remove the belt and check for wear ridges. They are around $400 or more for a set. Commercial machines will have a much higher time unless the hour meter has been disconnected. Dig into the fact. was he the original owner or bought it from another individual. If it is a commercial machine i would steer clear. They really abuse their machines since it is not their own private machine. Hours will help to determine this. My Avenger has 185 hrs and is 4 years old. Which averages about 46 hours a year and this is about normal for the general public. If the machine has less than 500 hrs on it, It has been driven less than average and as Jersey said will have had bearings replaced and at least a chain or two. This is my observation of the machines i have seen. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread