Just Bought an 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Bought an 8x8

Just Bought an 8x8

Hey all, new to the forum and new to amphibious atvs, I own a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500, and its been in mud, snow, and sand, but i havent had the pleasure of an 8x8 till now.
    I have recently acquired (well we pick it up Tuesday) a 1984 Argo 8-1/C KB as its called. I don't expect too many problems mainly because it was government surplus and meticulously maintained because of that. anyways it has a full rollcage (of sorts) a winch and hitch. from what i have heard it was only used for the most part to maintain marker bouys that the guy couldnt get to any other way, so its had alot of water use. so far i know i am getting the complete machine, plus extra tires, and a spare motor.

now heres the question, what should i do to go over this thing to make sure its ready to go? i understand they are chain driven, but thats about all i know.

suggestions?

thanks
    B.

have a look at my thread here in the argo section.if i was you i would strip it down to inspect everything,but thats my nature.

Well dads plan was to just use it, didn't want to spend too much time doing anything to it. that worked well. he broke a drive shaft (gear between two of the wheels) yesterday while out with the neighbours, we now have little choice but to strip the thing down and go at it... new tires soon as well.

Once you get in there you will realize that it's not too complicated. Then when you are complete, you will have an 8x8 that is reliable. It will be much more enjoyable that way. Keep us posted on your rebuild.

well we put the plastics all back together last night, being optimistic. wheels might go on tonight, might wait for tires havent decided. the dealer is having a ride this weekend so i am hoping to get it usable for then, but then again who knows...

+ Reply to Thread