Is a 20 Hp Outboard enough!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a 20 Hp Outboard enough!

Is a 20 Hp Outboard enough!

Here's a link I found.Yamaha outboard powered all-terrain

What are your plans and what kind of machine do you have. I have the 10 hp 4-stroke on my 2006 Avenger. No you will not set any new water speed records but goes fast enough for me and the wife. With no modifications.

Lewis is 10 horse enough for a slow moving river?

In Alberta over 10 hp requires a boater's liscence.. That and I think they are only rated for a 10hp motor on the factory bracket.. If you have MacGuyver'd somethin up that won't apply..

Hey Aussie Iron,
    My understanding is that the hull shape of the Argo tub has an upper limit for speed in water, due to it's length and hull angle. A 10HP motor will get you to that top speed, and anything more will not get you any additional speed (unless you figure out a way to get the thing up on plane, which I would love to see!). Hope this helps.
    V.

Interesting question. I have just acquired an Argo.....8x8....so I have no experiece with in on the water, but I have been looking at boat hulls for steam boats for about 15 years. I am no naval architect but there is one underlying fact about boats....the longer and thinner they are the faster they will go with less power... I have bust my keister rowing a 14 foot boat but got better speed on a canoe half as wide and 4 feet longer. A sixteen foot canoe, two feet wide has an 8 to one ratio.....beam to length.. lots of speed....no stability. An argo,,,,, 8 feet long with tracks is about 6 feet wide....stability maybe... but the length to beam ratio is so bad that once you acheive hull speed, you are actually pushing water from underneath the hull and sitting lower to the water level....
    I suspect..... without any big calculations that the hull speed of an argo... is about 2 mph..... A small engine with a big prop would probably work best..... as it does in a steamboat. PS: My 23 foot steamboat has a 1.5 hp engine running it. Max speed is about 7 mph.
    Guy

I have a 5hp 2-stroke I used with a Response 8x8. It moves real good, here is a video:
    Argo Response 8x8 in lake with outboard motor - YouTube
    It was difficult to keep the prop low enough in the water with just me in the vehicle. It drove real nice when my camera man got back in and gave the Argo more weight in the rear.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

I run a 2.5 4 stroke Yamaha on the back of my Argo and it moves 2 adults just fine. But then again I have no intention to water ski off the back just a little fishing or to get across the French River a little faster.

With the AT189 tires in the water my speed is 3.8-3.9 mph by the GPS. I also have the 9.9 hp Mariner that i run on the machine in the lake. It must be a long shaft outboard or the cavitation is to great and no speed. Even with the 9.9 hp motor you will get cavitation that will occur due to the hull design and with the off set of the outboard mount you are getting swirling from the right side tires. So it will do well but when trying to get a lot of speed cavitation occurs no matter what. I don't run track just the tires. It has plenty of power to push through moderate current, but in very swift water, this i don't know. I don't try to get out in the big channels with the boats and jets ski's...they will run over you.

While that Yamaha 20hp with the electric start, Hyd steering and power tilt would be cool, I agree with the other comments. You can't use all the power of a 9.9 without cavitating the prop. Unless you need some extra weight at the back, I think the 20hp is overkill.
    Like Lewis, I run tires, and find that they are enough in slow moving rivers, to get you across. A 10hp on the back should be able to push you upstream without issues...........We're still talking SLOW moving rivers here :-)

Neet looking Pontoon Stabilizers on that Argo in your link.

RD

+ Reply to Thread