1973 Argo worth $1000?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1973 Argo worth $1000?

1973 Argo worth $1000?

I have the chance to buy a 1973 argo (idk anything about it) for 1000$ and am wondering if, for that price, i will be getting a piece of junk. I dont really need one but I have always wanted one to play with. What are the weak points of the older argos? I think it was a 400 or 440 2stoke but now it has no exhaust so i would have to find one of those. What do i need to look for when i go check it out? Bearing movement? Seals? Chain tensioner position? any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unless it's already been restored you're looking at a money pit. Have a look at mine and Plott hound's re-build threads. These are early 1990's models and they required major work. Sieg's is a 1970's vintage and lucky for him he's got an entire machine shop at his disposal.

We got ours knowing full well what was in store. If you're not looking for a rebuild project then I'd suggest you look at something newer.
    Last edited by Paquette; 10-14-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling for Sieg

I'm no expert, but it seems $1000 is an average going rate for older (70's) argos. I paid that for mine and haven't regretted it. Don't think that for that price you're just gunna jump in it and enjoy riding it for years without any work however. They require alot of constant maintenence. When looking at it i wouldn't be turned away by a bad bearing or 2, seal or chain. Those little things need replacement pretty regularly if you drive it alot anyways. The main things i would look at is the motor, does it run, good compression ect, then the transmission, make sure it all works good. an exhaust would be easy to replace so i wouldn't worry about that. check the body for cracks and holes. If you can try to get a look at the frame. when i bought mine there were cracks in the metal which ended up needing fixing. Again i'm no expert but if it runs and the body is in decent shape it's probably worth $1000 but expect to do some work on it. It could quickly turn into a money pit

Thanks guys. Im not looking to do a full restore but i just want somethin to beat around on. I probably wont use it that frequently but the occasional ice fishing trip and such. If it does need seals and bearings where can i purchase them? Are parts redaliy available for these machines?

i also have welders and parts snowmobiles and such to make it atleast drivable for now.

Yes parts are pretty easy to find. go to Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for Amphibious ATV's, thats where i buy my stuff

I went ahead and bought it. It is drivable as is. it needs new fuel lines and the exhaust put back on but other than that it seems good. i just wanna see how bad it leaks b4 the lakes freeze over lol

Congrats, post up a picture if you get a chance

+ Reply to Thread