Replacing Drive chains on 73' argo...????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Drive chains on 73' argo...????

Replacing Drive chains on 73' argo...????

Im trying to replace the drive chains on my 1973 argo but have some questions i couldnt easily find in the forum. First is the single strand #50 roller chain all the same? I have been researching and finding diffrent pitches and stuff like that but am not sure what to get.ANSI standard chain? Also is there a heavy duty chain i can invest in since it is not double chain like the new ones? I have seen the tractor supply chain and it says made in china right on it but i was thinking of picking up one roll just to make it drivable untill i can replace it all with a good deal on a high quality chain.Also how long does the cheesey chain last compared to $10per foot chain? Right now i have only a few tires driving it so id like to atleast be able to move it around easily. ANy help or decent prices on the right chaion for the application would be appreciated. THANKS!

Yes it's all standard ansi roller chain. McMaster-Carr has #50 chain for $4.28 a ft. its good quality chain. I think the brand they sell is flexon which is really good chain. The heavy duty is $9.46 a ft. but idk if its really worth it. The idler chain, which is a #40 is definitely worth replacing with heavy duty chain. the #40 heavy duty is $8.84 a ft.

Is the ANSI standard just a size standard or is it a standard where all chains need to meet the same tensile strength requirement, ect? And Thats not a bad price. i think i am going to buy some tractor supply chain just to get all 6 wheels going then shop around. Does anybody know exactly hom many feet of chain there is on one of these old argos?

ansi standard is for size only.

I kind of think it depends on usage. If like me you take it into the bush once a year to retrieve a deer or maybe a moose within reasonable distance of a road (couple of miles?) or just a bit of diddlyfa**ing around, then I went the cheap (read TSC China) style bearings and chain. If your going in 20 or so miles ,buy the good stuff. Cheapy will get you rolling but for how far and long??? Jus' my feelin's on the subject

Hi:
    Just bear in mind that the less expensive chains will stretch faster, this leads to more adjusting and ultimately much faster sprocket wear unless the chain is replaced more often. I've gone with the McMaster as a cheap alternative, but a USA brand from them, they also carry cheaper alternatives like TSC's chain (No I don't know if it's the same mfg, just same country). Whipper had recommended Diamond as a good quality chain, and when I ever get to it that's what will go in My racer. My point is to just think about the cost of replacing sprockets or frequent chain replacement when figuring the savings on the inexpensive vs. middle of the road chains.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I fully agree with Johnny 2-Stroke about wear and stretching. My point was there are alternatives if you may not at this time in your life be able to afford the more expensive way of going. I probably don't get to put more than a couple of hours every 4 months on my machine while others do that daily. If it is do-able....definately spend the extra bucks and do it right the first time. When I bought mine, I knew nothing about them or this sight. If it comes to the point of changing my bearings, chain etc. I will opt for the better quality parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sieg View Post
    ansi standard is for size only.
    I have to disagree that ANSI standard specifies size only.

ANSI: B29-1 (Precision Power Transmission Roller Chains, Attachments, and Sprockets) does include specifications for tensile strength and working load. The purpose of the standard is to allow uniformity of dimension, strength and a lot of other characteristics of material and assemblies for mechanical designers.

Regarding chain, check out my post here in the Argo forum. I re-chained my entire mid 80's 8x8 Argo (all 50-2 chain with 40-2 on the idlers) with high-quality Japanese and American chain (HKK, DID, and Morse) purchased from eBay surplus industrial suppliers for $164, and that included shipping to Alaska. FYI, the chain I removed was totally stretched USA-made Diamond chain, the one everyone seems to think is the best.

For brands, you want to look for HKK, DID, Morse, Renold, and of course, Diamond and Tsubaki.

For #50, I'm seeing a 10' roll of Tsubaki chain there right now for only $1.70 a foot, and they'd likely ship it to your door USPS Priority Flat Rate for under $10.

For folks reading this who need 50-2 chain, if you pay more than $4 a foot for any of it, you're paying too much. Search on "roller chain 50-2". Right now, not many deals up there for 50-2, but wait a bit and you'll see great deals pop up. One brand that's sold there frequently is Allied Locke. It's always there for 10' for 50-2 for $49.99. Don't let the Allied Locke Web site fool you, they're NOT made in the USA, but in Taiwan. I have never tried Allied Locke chain, but it's not a bad idea to stick to USA and Japan for your chain source.

The points are ANSI standards are a lot more than dimensions, and that you can buy high-quality chain on the cheap if you do your homework and keep your eyes open on eBay.

Planter Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Planter Bob View Post
    I have to disagree that ANSI standard specifies size only.

ANSI: B29-1 (Precision Power Transmission Roller Chains, Attachments, and Sprockets) does include specifications for tensile strength and working load. The purpose of the standard is to allow uniformity of dimension, strength and a lot of other characteristics of material and assemblies for mechanical designers.
    You are correct. I guess i should have been more specific. ansi standards do include minimum tensile strengths and working load ratings. ANSI 50, by itself however is only a standard for the size. You can buy differnet grades of chain with different tensile strengths and working loads like planter bob said, but its still ansi 50 for the size. You can go buy king of china brand ansi 50 roller chain and it isn't going to be as strong as american made ansi 50 roller chain.

Planter bob, Whwere are you finding the $1.70per ft. chain? I would rechain with all that high quality if i found it right. Im currently looking for tires since the kid at the local wheeler shop tore the sidewall all to hell. Any advice on that as well?

+ Reply to Thread