thumb throttle conversion?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thumb throttle conversion?

thumb throttle conversion?

hi guys new here and a new owner of a 2001 argo bigfoot. love it. i like the thumb throttle better than twist grip and was wondering if anyone has done the conversion? if so what are the parts used as in thumb throttle, new throttle cable, easy to do? thanks
    trevor

Hi trevor, welcome to the site. I don't imagine it would be difficult to add a thumb throttle. There are a few members on the site who have done just that. This is the first post I found using the search: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...html#post48124 and here is another: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...html#post57642

Good luck in your modification.

I tried a thumb throttle, got a used one off a Honda 4x4. I found that my thumb got really sore I think due too pulling back to steer and using the throttle. On a 4 wheeler the handlebar is basicly in a fixed position and when you turn, your whole body seems to turn with the bar movement, where on the Argo you are squeezing your thumb and pulling straight back. I personally found it awkward and tiring. When i did get the thumb throttle I also got the cable and used that instead of buying a new one. I have talked to others that find the thumb throttle better than the twist. It's whatever suits you best.

i found a new honda thumb throttle on ebay for 41.00$ and got it in the mail last night. this is the second one i've tried, the first from ebay for 10.00$ and it didn't work. this honda throttle works great and used the stock argo cable. this set up seems more intuitive for me coming from 3 and 4 wheeler background. thanks for the feed back guys. this is a very informative site. i'm still curious why these 6x6's aren't more popular. my bigfoot has to be the coolest toy i've had!

Why aren't amphibs more popular? When's the last time you saw one prominently used in a mainstream movie or TV show? A commercial for them broadcast during a popular sporting event? A full page or 2-page full color ad in the front of sporting & hunting mags? Very few people go looking for something; they buy what they know about or see in ads. You can't buy what you don't know exists. Sadly, amphib ATV companies seem either reluctant or simply unwilling to pony up the money to do large scale, competitive advertising. Of course in the Max's case the company (RI) would have to invest big $$$ to do a major factory upgrade or move to new(er), larger facilities to keep up with demand if advertising caused a sales boom. And truth be told, the general public ain't buying something they have to fiddle with. Everything requires routine adjustment & tune-ups, but amphibs are generally perceived (and rightly so, to a degree) as being high-maintenance. On top of all that, the ride quality of these vs. other modern ATVs is usually a big turn-off.

SOUTHEAST OHIO NEXT TO THE MUSKINGUM RIVER
    They are just as popular as they were 40 years ago and getting more and more popular ... Its only my opinion but the competition is well very little... Argo vs max.......and someone must be buying them i guess thats why they have been in business over 40 years..... As far as tv shows, there is a hunting show that uses it on almost every commercial.... And coming thanksgiving evening.... Cool tools on hgtv or diy is featuring an argo 8x8...... Amphibious machines like max and argo are designed for purpose...... Example: Polaris rzr sport fun... Polaris ranger work.... But, as you may know people buy work atvs and use them for eveything and i am no different... I have been buying and selling atv's looking for that one best atv... And after years and years of this i have decided........ I am on my journey to own one of each....hahahaha my wife lived in alaska for a few years and 6x6 and 8x8 are everywhere there... So maybe geography plays a part..... Dont misunderstand and take this reply as as anger or mean.... I like the topic and feel it was a great question

Like has been said, many are not aware of the machines. Most people who see one of mine are aware of basically what it is, but are surprised to hear that there are some companies still in business on a commercial scale, albeit not as large as ATV companies.
    Secondly, price. Price a Honda 400X at 6,299 or FourTrax Foreman 4x4 $6799 and compare to the price of a Max or Argo. Sure, you can get a basic MaxII comparable, but that's lower HP and slower and won't compete price wise with a 250X at 4399. And these aren't what they sell at. You can and will get them for less at a dealer.
    I KNOW what the 6x6 can do, but most people see no suspension and ask what they're paying for (Lower production run, ability to float, ability to mud better than HIGHLY modified HIGH LIFTED quads) but this is "inside info"
    No Suspension sux. It does. sure you can cope with it, it's not a big deal for slow travel and you argo guys going hunting, and It doesn't bug me too much, but at high speed you feel it.
    I have to disagree about them being as popular as 40 years ago. They WERE the ATVs of that day, now they compete with Quads and side by sides. BUT they ARE gaining popularity again. I don't think theres any hope of them ever truly competing with quads. (Just like Quads don't have any hope of Truly competing with these in deep mud/muck) But if it gets enough that we see some new innovation from the MFGs like with Argo's new tranny and the Mudd Ox, then I'll be happy.
    Want to see the popularity continue upwards, bring an Quad rider friend for a ride, let him/her drive. Convert someone. And if they in turn convert another, who knows, we may just see an AATV race or endurance run on TV again.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread