Locking left and right axles together (momentarily)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Locking left and right axles together (momentarily)

Locking left and right axles together (momentarily)

To overcome the tendency of an open diff to send power the the side with the least resistance I am wondering if it is possible to fabricate some type or momentary coupling mechanism perhaps on the rear axle. With the flip of a lever the left and right axle are now joined. This would provide the same function as a diff lock.

Please comment.

it would probably require a pair of jack shafts in the rear of the machine, but you might be able to incorporate an electric clutch from the deck of a riding mower to lock the 2 jack shafts together with the flip of a switch
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Electric clutch. Great idea, that would greatly simplify it

A couple quick thoughts/comments:
    If in a situation where you have good traction under one bank of tires and no or little traction under the other bank, IF you were to lock your diff, and apply power, your machine would turn into the mucky stuff where you are getting little to no traction.
    But, if you were able to control how much power you were directing to EACH bank of tires, you can keep the machine , more or less, running in a straight line. This can be acomplished with the carefull application of your brakes. Braking slightly on the side that has no traction will direct SOME power to the side that does have traction. This will have the effect of allowing the side without traction to spin the tires fast, but also provide enough power to the side with traction to move the machine forward. The combination of fast spinning tires on the side without traction, with the slow turning tires on the side with traction will allow you to keep the machine moving in the direction you have it pointed.

I find that this is MUCH easier to do with the older style Argo steering than the newer style.

RD

The operating skills you are talking about are exactly what I thought would be best to do. Please note that I have an Argo it have never opperated it as it is in th process of getting rebuilt. I picked it up for free engine-less
    The reason I ask about the locking diff is because I see much discussion in this forum about the 'true 6 wheel drive'. I have never operated a Max either but it think that Argo is wise to use the open diff to allow a skilled driver to apply the torque where it is best put.

As you can tell I am new so would you please elaborated on the differences between the old and new style contols that you mentioned.
    Last edited by jwiereng; 11-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.

The older Argos have a brake lever for steering each side. The new ones have a handle handlebar you turn for steering.

Braking the side that has less traction gives more drive to the other side and it works good for getting through bad spots. Given enough time you'll get the feel for it. Another tip for getting through mud holes is to always try to put at least one tire one either side of the machine on something that gives good traction. My experience is spinning tires on an Argo just gets you stuck faster. It doesn't take much spinning to eat out the soft ground you're on and you'll be high centered in no time flat. Taking it nice and easy and keeping at least one side of the machine on something that gives traction seems like the approach to take.

I have never operated a Max either but it think that Argo is wise to use the open diff to allow a skilled driver to apply the torque where it is best put.

An open diff is what argo happened to use untill lately, I assume due to patent rights/costs. The open diff doesn't bother me as much as the turning effort/power loss it causes. A max's tranny doesn't whine and has no power loss in turns. There are other + and - to the two trans, but we all manage to get around well once you learn the machine.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Do you know if the whining is inherent to an open diff or is it just because of the type of gears inside. I have not opened tha trans case, does the Argo trans have spur gears or Helical gears

thats the great part about any machine with a T20 its like having one transmission for each side of the machine gives you infinte control if you know what your doing which takes some time. the other nice thing is ability to split shift and counter rotate which has got me out of quite a few hairy situations
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

The pre avenger/frontier trans were not helical, thus the whine. It can be diminshed somewhat by thick lubes/additives, and esp loud exhaust
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread