bigfoot hdi bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bigfoot hdi bearings

bigfoot hdi bearings

I just watched the vid about converting a conquest from regular bearings to hdi bearings and was wondering ,can I convert my 2000 bigfoot to hdi bearings?
    I have to replace 4 outer bearings anyway so now would be the time to do it.
    What would be the advantage to doing this?
    and dosent water leak in through the shaft with no seals?
    how is the water kept out?
    thanks
    Robert

Hey Robert

My guess is YES, you can do it. Just check your Axle Brng Extensions first. If they have the "built in" bearing retainer, then you would have to replace them or have them machined out. (I think you probably have the seperate retainer and should be good to go) If there is one gasket on the extensions, your retainer is built in. If there are 2 gaskets, the retainer is seperate and located between those gaskets)

Water does not leak in, not that I've noticed on mine so far.

Tight fit to the shaft is all that keeps the water out, but I always put Anti-Sieze (Thick Paste) on the shaft when I reassemble, so maybe that helps seal it up. (I think they should have machined a groove in the inner brng race and fitted an O-ring in there as a seal, but they never asked for my opinion, lol )

Advantages:
    Larger Bearing (Stronger?)(Tripple sealed) (Longer Life?)
    Steal Brng Housing
    One grease nipple to contend with.

I have not had mine converted long enough to confirm that all is going to be better, but I can say that I've had no issues so far.

One thing that I was NOT impressed with was that the outer bearing shield is now exposed to the elements, and shows signs of rusting very shortly after instalation.

If I remember correctly it was about $100 per axle to convert.

Hope that helps

RD

Thanks for getting back to me Rock Doctor,If I change to the new bearings what part numbers would I use to order the parts ? Bearings ? Gaskets ? Housings?
    thanks Rob

+ Reply to Thread