Argo chain 8 x 8 How many feet are required of 50-2 chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo chain 8 x 8 How many feet are required of 50-2 chain

Argo chain 8 x 8 How many feet are required of 50-2 chain

Hi

Can I get some help please ?
    Need to re-chain the 1985 KB Argo 8X8 17hp kohler. When I order the chains how many pins/links do I specify in the front, mid and rear chains? I don't have a chain breaker so I thought I would ask the supplier to cut to length.

Have read some posts on chains but may have missed this info.

Thanks
    Cyclone

Hi Cyclone67, I've got an 86 8x8 and started putting new chains on. The system the use in the parts manual is in PLATES, meaning you counnt the plates of the chain, including the master link. Your buggie neads, from front to rear, 44 plates, 70 plates and the two rear are both 96 plates. Hope this helps.

Plates? No...you count pins. Your numbers are correct for pins, inclusive of the hole where the master link goes.

In terms of feet, you need a total of 32 feet of 50-2 to rechain a mid 80's KB model. 50-2 chain is 5/8" pitch, the distance between the pins, so the formula is ((44+70+96+96) x 2 x .625) / 12" = 31.875'

Make sense?

Regarding breaking the chain, don't sweat it. Just mark where you need to break it, and use a 4" grinder CAREFULLY and grind off the two pin ends that need to come off. Piece of cake if you have a good vice and a steady hand. I did all of mine, no problem, and I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball.

I strongly recommend you see my post on how I rechained my rig on the cheap with quality Japanese chain for under $170 INCLUDING freight to me here in Alaska. It was all bought new from surplus dealers on eBay.

Hope this helps,

Planter Bob

Many thanks for your excellent reply. I have read your excellent post on re-chaining and have been looking out on ebay for chain as you suggested. I just got a quote to ship three rolls of chain from US to Australia but the cheapest shipping I could get was $USD50 per roll. The ebay chain was about $80 per roll. I can buy here from farm supplies/industrial stores for about $140 per roll without shipping risk and delay.

So I'll keep looking. I will need to buy it for about $ 50 per roll to make it worthwhile.
    Regards
    Cyclone

Thanks for the kind words on my post, and I'm glad that helped. You know, 40' of chain (4 10' rolls) can fit easily in one reinforced medium-sized box. Shipping to Australia should be less than $100 for 40'. I'd find one surplus supplier who can sell you 40', and get a single rate quote from them. Have you considered sourcing directly from Japan to Australia? I'll have to look at the current exchange rates, but that may work out well for you.

Planter Bob

+ Reply to Thread