Irish 8x8 help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish 8x8 help

Post Irish 8x8 help

Hi all, My name is Gary I’m from Longford, Ireland and here is my questions

I have the chance to buy a Argo 8X8 I believe it’s a Vanguard model however the engine is not standard and it needs some body and chain work here are some details

Engine: 998cc Deisel 3 cylinder

Body: Missing Engine cover, Missing Black Bumper Strip, Missing driver floor, Missing headlights

Drivetrain: Chains at front to second set of wheels rusted solid

Electrical: All needs replaced

Overall Condition:
    There is no cracks or holes in body work just missing parts, all drive shaft seals and bearings in good order, new tyres are needed. The engine starts and runs perfect it’s a continuous load engine rated 36hP

So here is the important bit I can have the above for €250 Euro or $339 USD
    Has anyone any idea if I should take it and what type of money these cost to repair/Fix
    As I believe most parts will have to come from the US or Canada

Also is this engine too powerful for the tranny or other drive parts ?

I will put Pic’s up today if it helps

From West Allis, Wisconsin, "Welcome Gary"; Do you know what year the machine is? If all you stated is accurate, then the $339 USD is a STEAL. Even if you have to put (UP TO) $1,000.00 USD into it you will still be ahead. (Provided that the machine isn't TOO old) And any mechanical parts you may need should still be pretty easy to get and available through Argo. But body parts (engine cover/floor etc) might get tricky. Again this all teeters on how old the machine is. If it is less than 5 or 6 years old, I think you are pretty safe in obtaining parts. Plus, there are ALOT of members here that would probably have what you parts you may have a hard time locating. Or they can direct you to where to get them.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Hi Jeff,

Not sure of the year I will be picking up the Argo Today and will have a better idea then, I will also post pictures thanks so much for the feedback I kind of thought a much only the wife had other ideas but you just backed me up and all is go bow to buy the argo :-)

The serial number will help tell you what year it is. Argo is based out of Canada. Their number is 1-877-ARGOATV. Give them a call with the serial number, and they should get you started on your quest. HAVE FUN! Be Safe!.........Jeff

"Yawwwn!"

I'm surprised there was somebody here Stateside to help Gary out so early! Welcome to the Site!

Agreeing with Jeff, that's an amazing price for the machine you described, even if it needs considerable work. A lot of the peripherals like lights, wiring, chain, etc. are really easily sourced, and theyr'e not "Argo specific" items. Friom surfing around the 'net, the "Argocat" seems to have a pretty big presence in the UK, so maybe body parts won't be THAT hard to come across. If need be, you can always improvise and make a floorpan out of other material such as sheet steel, and a giant hoodscoop from Summit Racing would be a great improvement over the stock engine cover.

Okay.... it might be a little much. Anyway, best of luck with the project, and post some pictures of your find!

~m

Well here are some pictures more to follow
    Attached Images

last few .. let me know what you think
    Attached Images

Wow. 250 Euro? It may be a little rough around the edges, but if the engine runs, and there's not a ton of rust on the bearings/axles/frame, etc., I'd jump on it. Over here, that little diesel is worth nearly twice that price alone. Like you've admitted, the wiring seems a bit botched, but it's easily fixed with some patience.

She's a beauty. How much to ship it to NY?

~m

Being that it's been sitting outside, a safe bet is that your gonna need all new belts and hoses. (Trivial) I'd change the hoses, but get the new belts but don't install them. Run the old ones for a while (Once you get it moving) and let them take the task and abuse of re-polishing the surfaces of the drive clutches/pulleys. You mentioned that a chain was rusted solid. And cause it is outside, I tend to think that the tub was somewhat filled with water. S-O-O, I would check all the axle bearings. If they are greasable, give them a shot and pump all the old grease out of them. As far as body and oxidation goes, if you can't polish it to an acceptable level, you can always scuff it and repaint it. You just want to get a good finish on it to protect it from further oxidation or deterioration. From the pics, it doesn't look that bad and shouldn't need too much. But that's down the road. Get it moving first.Have fun, be safe!..........Jeff

Thanks for the advice, its the one thing i need most of, I recon i can do all the work myself, got the argo into the garage a few hours ago all wheels are free, I think the front 2 chains rusted solid because it is missing that bit of floor, once i removed them it free wheeled fine tomorrow i plan to remove all wheels and inspect the seals, it was not full of water due to a missing drain plug

Hi hydromike, in responce to your question I have no problem shipping it state side but I recon the postage would be huge.. oh but i do have an offer .. you pay flights and board and ill bring it over .. oh keep in mind i would have to make about 300 trips but i would not mind

+ Reply to Thread