High gear selected with Low gear performance......is this possible

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High gear selected with Low gear performance......is this possible

High gear selected with Low gear performance......is this possible

Many of you know how loud the trans can be in some earlier models of Argos. Specificly 99-03 i think.

On my argo, High gear speed is basicly useless. It's way to fast for my means of travel. It's just that.....its too high. I mostly do 5-10mph trips through the woods with the kids or the occaisional muddy field, or pond, and low gear is where I live. However, Low gear is LOUD!
    With the above said, High gear is not loud at all. So sometimes If i'm on a straight drive i'll ride in High so it's quieter at the expense of a bogged down RPM range. Would it be possible to gear down High gear so low that I get low gear performance while in High? Then I could use Low for "granny low" This way, I could talk to the kids while driving, and we don't get headaches while riding. Is this possible

does that make any sense?

you can order different sized sprockets at your friendly argo dealer. Mine is geared as low as I could before opening the gearbox.

I had a choice of 2 brake disks with integrated sprockets (I took the smallest) then you can use a large axle sprocket on the jackshaft.

Talk to your dealer (or the argo mecanics) and ask for a lower gearset.

then again as Rock Doctor said before :

If you feel that you just don't quite have enough "Power", you can do a little simple clutching.
    Pull your secondary apart (Carefully) and tighten the spring by one notch. This will help to hold the clutch back a bit (closed), keeping you in a "lower Gear" longer. It will also backshift a little faster when you slow down.
    Primary Clutch (Note: You may want to get a NEW primary spring, yours may be weak from use)
    Pull your Primary apart (Even MORE carefully). Your goal here is to make your Primary engage at a higher RPM, and backshift faster. A couple ways to do this is to "shim" the spring, or "lighten" the weights. I preferr the shim method, and I simply take a welding rod (same thickness as spring material), bend it into a circle the same diamiter as the spring, install it in the clutch under the spring. (shim then spring then spring cap).
    I have not tried to lighten weights, and that would have to be a "trial and error" method, just make sure that you remove the same amount of marerial from each weight.

I just did the mods to mine last fall (new primary spring, and shim in the primary clutch. I also tightened the secondary spring). Now, it's no problem to spin the Argo around (fully loaded) from a dead stop, on soft ground (lots of traction)
    Last edited by smog; 11-18-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

What's the two letter code on top of the trans start with? M or H?

Yo
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I dont know argo transmissions enough so maybe I am wrong? I guess it depends on why the low gear is making noises so... If its making the sound from spinning so fast then if you gear the transmission to axles down the high would spin faster and maybe make the same noise if it spins the same speed. But if the noise is because of the gear cut then I guess it wouldnt. Seems like it may be better to run a jackshaft setup from the driven to the transmission maybe? Not sure if theres room but if you take the driven off the trans and put a larger sized sprocket there, the run the chain to a jackshaft with a smaller sprocket on it and the driven on the other side or next to it or what ever. Like they do on gokarts/mini bikes. Just a possible option maybe. Maybe not?

Hi Waylon, I will reply here instead of to your PM if that's OK SMOG already posted what I would have said anyway

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    you can order different sized sprockets at your friendly argo dealer. Mine is geared as low as I could before opening the gearbox.

I had a choice of 2 brake disks with integrated sprockets (I took the smallest) then you can use a large axle sprocket on the jackshaft.

:
    I believe that the 2 choices of integrated Sprockest are 12 or 13 tooth, I also have the small sprockets.

SMOG, I never thought of trying an AXLE sprocket on the Idler Shafts. Do you have a tooth count for a STOCK idler sprocket compared to an AXLE sprocket? Did you change yours? The reason I ask is that I didn't think there was room for a larger sprocket on the Idler Shaft. My belly pan under the Idler Sprockets already has wear marks from the idler chains touching the belly pan from when I have the Argo body flexing/twisting through the rough stuff (Perhaps I already have larger sprockets there. My Argo came from the factory with tracks on, so I think it is already geared down as far as it can be taken)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    What's the two letter code on top of the trans start with? M or H?

Yo
    Roger, can you tell me which letter code denotes the lower geared Trans? I forget, and am at work for another week or so.

Waylon, if you have any questions about Clutching Down, I will be happy to help, but basically, if you increase the spring tension in your Primary, that will keep your clutches at a lower gear ratio for any given RPM. Combine that with a tighter Secondary Spring, and you will Upshift slower, and Downshift faster.

Interesting that your Low range is that mufh louder than your High range, My Argo is opposite to that.

RD

I don't where my "Yo" came from.. I know the forum has been repeating words.. I guess I typed Yo, lol.

Anyway down to business: G is lowest geared, M is middle, H is highest geared. I don't even know if bigfoot/response/conquest came with the H.

Low range and reverse is always louder than high, RD's seems the exception, in my limited experience.

I think Smog has an earlier model argo, our response/conquest/bigfoot won't take a larger sprocket on the idler shaft.

If Waylon has an M trans, I don't see why it shouldn't run in high like everybody else does.. I'd think it needs the clutches cleaned, adjusted, modified, and lubed. I spend a lot of time on mine, they work so much better clean and lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I think Smog has an earlier model argo, our response/conquest/bigfoot won't take a larger sprocket on the idler shaft.
    yup, the Centaur project is based on a 8x8 IC from 1987. As loud as the tranny is; I think ODG used straight cut gears in mine....

To my suprise my trans is labled 27530 HU

Well it should have a heck of a top end speed, then

I would work on the clutches, put the spring in the trans unit in the #1 hole. Shim the engine unit's spring. Pour some powdered graphite in there with it. Examine all the weights and pucks. If that's not enough, I'd lighten the weights. That realy helped mine run in a higher rpm, and I can help you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    yup, the Centaur project is based on a 8x8 IC from 1987. As loud as the tranny is; I think ODG used straight cut gears in mine....
    so mine is a "GA" with 13 tooth disk-brakes and 24 sprocket on the jackshafts ( I THINK there also 2 kinds of idler shafts and you may want the one will the smaller gears (one piece with the shaft))

it is not fast even in high gear and the low range is as low as you can use in tight spots.

+ Reply to Thread