What NOT to do...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What NOT to do...

What NOT to do...

Im new to the argo world and just bought a response. I like to drive fast and use machines to its fullest abbility and, I was whipping this thing around my yard having a great time, soo 1) I want to know what NOT to do. What hurts, damages, kills these machines as far as "beating" on them. I always maintain my machines as far as oil changes and greaseing moving parts. 2) what are the major things that go wrong or what to look for going wrong before it breaks? It runs and drives ok, might need a carb clean or its just bad gas im thinking the idle issue is, but that can be another topic if I dont figure it out tomorrow. Any info on what TO do and what NOT to do would be great. thanks!

Well I am not an argo guy but I did learn from a friend whos argo wouldnt charge, that running it around with out a battery is bad if it has the electric fans on the rotors. It overheated the brakes and blew a master cylinder seal. Then a slave cylinder. So make sure your battery is good before you run it. Other then that I think the machines are pretty bullet proof. They are built rugged and can take a beating.

Did We leave out swimming without plugs installed?

Like you said, maintenance. Grease Bearings, don't let it sit with water in it (Or Under Water ) Check Chains and don't run with whipped chains or you'll have whipped Sprockets too. Engine oil, tranny oil. Really just common sense stuff at least for the most part. Oh, carry a few tools, air pump, chain breaker and a few master links, you'll figure out what YOUR machine needs.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

What do you mean by whipped chains? and I understand the basic oil and grease but is there anything to look for before something breaks? Bought the machine with 101 hours on it, soo, not sure how things are "supposed" to look. Things to watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by acharrette View Post
    What do you mean by whipped chains?
    Worn or Stretched. When your chains wear, they stretch since the pins and bushings wear out. This makes the distance link to link slightly longer. They don't fit the sprockets correctly, ride up on the teeth under load and you get pointy sprockets. At that point you must change both, new chain will get killed by bad sprockets as quick as the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by acharrette View Post
    and I understand the basic oil and grease but is there anything to look for before something breaks? Bought the machine with 101 hours on it, soo, not sure how things are "supposed" to look. Things to watch out for?
    I've never had an Argo, but most things are simple enough to tell. For starters, jack the machine up and try to wiggle the wheels/axles. If there is slop in a bearing you'll feel the play. If a bearing fails completely you're stopped at best, or worse damage something else. Too much play in a chain or a maxxed out adjuster is your indicator on needing to replace chain. (Help from Argo guy? I know not all the chains even HAVE adjusters and don't know how much slop is acceptable.) Larry pointed out the need for a good battery. And look for anything that looks "Cobbed" by the Previous owner. Some of these machines get Shade-tree repairs. Others are meticulously maintained.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Thanks for the info, im going to check out the chains and stuff today and maybe bring it down the powerlines, and ill let you guys know if anything breaks! and how it goes! haha

+ Reply to Thread