Drive chain question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drive chain question

Drive chain question

argo2 006.jpgargo2 007.jpg

These are my chains, probably a dumb question but way too loose? Streched too far? cuz it seems like they slap when im bouncing around in the woods. Take out a link? Time for new chains? They are all about same amount of slack except the 2 off the trans. those are tight. Still new to these machines, so trying to learn as much about them as I can.

Those look pretty stretched to me. They look like they are close to hitting that cross support. Don't take a link out, it will ruin your sprockets if you run it like that for long. I would just replace the chains if I were you.

Is it something that HAS to be done or still driveable? it looks like they have bounced off the cross support allready. Im guessing I should just replace chains, but just bought the machine and dont want to dump tons of $$$ right away... should I just not be a cheap ass and replace them? what kind of damage will happen if I run the chains like this? Where do I get these chains?

The longer you run them stretched like that, the better chance you have of ruining your sprockets. It is still drivable, but I wouldn't let it go. I would just replace them. There are a lot of threads on where to buy chain, and what kind to buy. Search the site and you will find the discussions that list several options. Basically, you don't want to buy a cheap brand of chain because it will stretch much faster than a quality chain, and you will be back in the same situation you are in now. Good chain is not cheap though, especially the double chain like you have. For places to purchase, that will also be covered by searching the site, but any local bearing supply house could get you the chain you want. Again, don't buy cheap chain, as tempting as it is, you will be kicking yourself down the road.

ok, so here is a silly question... the chain is streched out a tiny bit per link correct? (causing it to be loose) So If I get a chain with the same amount of links (but brand new) should be tight again??? Because there are no adjustments unlike motorcycle chains.

There's a couple other things you can do after you buy good quality chain. Have you noticed the way the chain tensioners are "warped" and not flat.. they get that way over time 'cause the spring is only pulling on one side. you can disassemble them and move swap the forks top for bottom. Don't turn them over, flip the plastic pads over instead. Then they will be "warped" in the other direction, which will make them lay flat on the chain with spring tension.

The other thing you can do is make some plastic/nylon/poly pads and mount them on the frame areas where the chain rubs them.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

What my first thought was, why isnt there a spring on both sides? Can I just add a spring on the other side to "even it out"? But long story short need new chains... sucks, cuz I thought I got a good deal, but I just bought this guys problems...

Getting prices all over the board for this chain. McMaster-Carr $48FT! Moorse Chain $19FT. Brand "x" the guy didnt couldnt even tell me the name of it was $6 FT. Local store, Fastenall can get it for $4 FT, but again its a "no name" brand. Thought chain would be somewhat standard... guess not. What should I do?

$48 from mcmaster? you gotta be looking at the wrong chain. I just looked in the book and standard double strand 50 chain is $11.25/ ft. mcmaster is where i buy all my chain, but try looking around on ebay for a better deal if you want to save a few $$$$

$48/ft was for the stainless steel. You shouldn't need anything that fancy.

+ Reply to Thread