Argo snowplough

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo snowplough

Argo snowplough

Hi guys
    Robin from the Highlands of Scotland

I am considering the purchase of a snow plough to use on my Magnum. I see that they are used a lot in Canada and the USA, so it would be helpfull to hear how they perform and ease of fitting etc. I have a winch -------------thanks

I bought a plow for my 750 EFI Avenger last winter ... and have never regretted it for one minute! That thing can really push the snow, let me tell you. Pile it up pretty high, too, if you want. I have a nice bank at the end of my property ... drops off to about 20 feet in places, so its perfect ... push it out there and it just disappears. :-) I didn't use tracks while ploughing ... mainly because I won't be purchasing them until this winter :-) ... but I've heard that it's better without anyway. It rides up on the snow with the tracks installed. Ease of fitting? Two bolts, 10-15 minutes, tops. I've got a canopy, heater, and windshield wiper ... talk about comfort. Not shirt sleeve comfort, but pretty close. :-) I bought a new video camera this spring, so I'll have to get my wife to take some HD video of me when I'm ploughing this winter ... upload it to YouTube somewhere. Don't think you can upload videos to this site?

Robin; If you do get the plow, make sure you have tires that have a good tread pattern for snow. I tried plowing (Wisconsin) snow with my terrain tires, and they just didn't bite good enough. Made it hard to push when the blade got full.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Zircon, thanks for that. I had thought of fitting tracks, but they are way too expensive over here, with everything having to be shipped from your side of the Atlantic. It would be useful to see a vid .

Jeff --Thanks for the reply. I have a full set of deep tread tyres on the machine that should do the job,but then of course your Wisconsin snow might be different to ours !!!

Are you fellows using the Argo plow ordered from the factory?

Other than a winch, what other modifications have to be made to your machine to run the plow?

I bought my 60" plow and push frame from Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire sells them as a 4 piece kit, all pieces purchased individually. Its for a quad, but I made a bracket that uses the front bearing extensions and then runs back to the receiver. I had to shorten the push frame, but that was easy and just use my winch to raise and lower. I run mud lites and have no trouble pushing snow. The only trouble I do have is when the blade is angled and the snow is really wet you have to ride the brake to keep going straight. The setup works really well, you can push snow into a way higher bank than you can with the quad setup.

Last edited by garbie; 11-30-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added Photos

Bud, I use the Argo plow (no offense, garbie, but I never buy anything from Crappy Tire. They screwed up the best car I ever had once ... an '82 Caprice Classic. Haven't been inside the doors of a CT since) it's 80 inches long. [Two or three runs and you have a driveway done. :-) ] Besides the winch, a steel plate is attatched attached to each side. ... comes with the plow when you buy it. Two holes in each plate ... I don't know why two ... I only ever use one of them. Mabe if one wears or perhaps to change the angle ... can't really see that though. In my Gallery photos there's a shot of the plow. The detail is not great there, but you can see the plate. I can take a close-up shot and upload it if you like.

Garbie thanks for the reply, looks a really useful piece of kit. It surprises me that the front bearing extension would be strong enough though,but I note that its standard Argo kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
    Bud, I use the Argo plow (no offense, garbie, but I never buy anything from Crappy Tire. They screwed up the best car I ever had once ... an '82 Caprice Classic. Haven't been inside the doors of a CT since) it's 80 inches long. [Two or three runs and you have a driveway done. :-) ] Besides the winch, a steel plate is attatched attached to each side. ... comes with the plow when you buy it. Two holes in each plate ... I don't know why two ... I only ever use one of them. Mabe if one wears or perhaps to change the angle ... can't really see that though. In my Gallery photos there's a shot of the plow. The detail is not great there, but you can see the plate. I can take a close-up shot and upload it if you like.
    That gallery pic helps, Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread