Video for Anyone with a Frontier considering tracks.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Video for Anyone with a Frontier considering tracks.

The tracks are good, and probably almost always better than just tires, but that particular vid shot, hehe, it was shallow, and all us wheeled guys would have given it heck, and I assume, made it with little problem. But, video can be deceiving..
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Yes, its difficult to get perspective when all you see are tracked vehicles & they just amble over the obstacles like its not really a challenge. I've seen the Adair tracks mounted on several Argos and a Mudd Ox. My Max 2 and Super Swamp fox diesel are both capable vehicles, however the new style tracks give a significant advantage to the tracked vehicles in the outtings I've been on. If you pull up the video from the October River Run ride you will clearly see the tracked vehicles going through obstacles that the wheeled vehicles either had a hard time on, or bogged down in. In fact there are several instances where you will see the tracked vehicles towing wheeled vehicles out of predicaments like it was nothing. When I was in military there was a saying that a capable wheeled vehicle will go 90% of the places a tracked vehicle can go. I've found that to be the case most of my life. The issue is when you want to get to the places the other 10% of the time, then that's the time the tracks come in handy. The other issue with the Adair tracks is that you don't have to thrash your vehicle to use them, in fact my observation was that with the tracks your axles, bearings, chains and sprockets are probably under less load and stress than they were on the wheeled vehicles that had to be pushed to stay going.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Enjoy the videos, but are you saying that an Argo Frontier would not make it up those banks with just its tires? I could see where it might be hard to come out of the water approaching a bank like that if you were floating, but you're not floating. The sand should not be an issue unless you sink into it. Since we ride in a lot of sand/sandy conditions, I'm confused.

Bridget
    I gotta agree with the model citizen on this one... with the running start that he had i could have gotten my garden tractor up that bank.

i can certainly see that tracks are a HUGE advantage in a lot of situations, but the first video in this thread wasn't enough to "wow me".
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Noel, your Super Swamp Fox runs awesome. With or without tracks.

Bridget

i agree Noel, both of your machines are pretty well unstoppable, and there are not many places that Rogers hopped up 8x8 wont go either, but im not so sure about that garden tractor making it up the bank (ha-ha)...when it comes right down to it we are all just pretty much splitting hairs and any of these machines weather old or new, 6x6 or 8x8, tracked or untracked, name brand or off brand (he-he), etc, etc, etc are pretty impressive or none of us would even be here visiting about them and sharing our thoughts, photos, and video… (speaking of which…my friends and i have had the unique privilege of getting to ride a lot and drive some really awesome machines and i can tell you that the best way to judge the true difficulty of any of our videos is by the size of the drivers smile)...

that said, every setup is going to have its upside, and it downside, even if the downside is just cost and bang for the buck...most of us started out with a used 6x6 at one point or another and just kept dreaming of how it could possibly get any better, that’s where most of the fun is... the difficult part might just be balancing cost and value of any machine and its options for where we each ride and how...not many of us actuall "need" one of these awsome toys

a bunch of my friends and i did the same thing with snowmobiles 20 years ago and used to have a ton of fun in our own back yards until our newer machines took all of the challenge and adventure out of it and eventually even week long trips to the mountains with those new hi-tech machines couldn’t continue to provide the challenge we first fell in love with...

history tends to repeat itself and i think that it could be the same here...part of the fun of playing in a mud puddle all day is the challenge of doing it better than your buddy, but when everyone just walks thru it, is it still fun??? we used to play all day on that river trying to make it a mile up stream with our 25" wheeled machines, but now we struggle to find areas that represent much of a challenge at all and we can cover miles of that river in an hour of time…David, i have even noticed that you have hung up the hip waders in your latest videos.

i think a lot of us enjoy this type of recreational riding...but then there are those who will simply own one of these machines for the very specific purpose of just getting there and back with the least amount of "adventure" possible...they are the ones that might benefit the most from those of you that thrive on pushing the limitations of the sport and splitting the hairs

keep it fun :-)

David and his waders... I have deep, newly found respect for Dave's wader adventures.. I think it has something to do with those HUGE water moccasins we saw at River Run.

those are woops for GOLIATH and GODZILLA

Is goliath ever going off road?

so far all I've seen is dirt roads and playing in the sand box

Obsessed

I used to wear my hip waders every time that I went on an amphib ride with my Max IV, because I never knew when I,d need to get out of my tub to help get my Max unstuck , if I had no one around to help me. I,ve got so used to doing this , that even if I have some one around to give me a hand , I usually just get out of the tub and do what I need to get myself unstuck. Those days have changed since I got my Mudd-Ox wit your tracks on it. I have,nt got stuck yet at river run park , though in a few places I have hardly made it out even with tracks, because the mud was so soft underneath the water. I still kept my hip waders in the rear of my Mudd-Ox just in case I have to wade through mud and water to tie my winch cable to a tree, because the amphibs with wheels riding with me , can,t make it to where I,m stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

Is goliath ever going off road?

so far all I've seen is dirt roads and playing in the sand box
    Yeah... for crying out loud.

Bridget

+ Reply to Thread