Conquest stopped charging

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conquest stopped charging

Conquest stopped charging

I was out in my 96 conquest last Saturday when it stopped charging. Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for it. I`d like to check out a few things myself before I have to take it in for service.

Thanks, Randy

I am not sure how similar your conquest and my bigfoot are, but on my 18 hp briggs there is a 30 amp fuse near the front of the engine that runs up into the wiring harness. This 30 amp fuse is for the charging circuit and is on the output of the regulator. Mine (I think a few others on this site) melted the fuse/harness and created problems. I plan to upgrade mine to a MAXI fuse to try and allow better heat dissipation. The other option may be you stator. I don't think you regulator i a problem, usually when it fails it overcharges letting the AC voltage of the stator through. I think its around 20 volts AC when the regulator is bad. 20 volts peak x .707 = 14 volts RMS or so?

Hi,
    I have recently had a simiper problem with an organization I volunteer with have an argo conquest. This argo has a kawasaki liquid cooled engine with an alternator. Does yours have this engine, alternator????. If it does check the alternator belt to see if it is loose or off the pulley or broken. The alternator is under the engine and very hard to work on. The alternator was removed and checked out ok. The no charging problem was a disconnected wire behind the dash near the volt gauage. I would check all the electrical connections behind the dash before trackling the alternator. The dealer who worked on the conguest removed the radiator to get at the alternator and it was still not an easy job. The bolts are metric and are 16mm and 17mm. Hope this helps. Paul

Pull up "beaverdamargoatv". At the bottom of the home page there is a service manual you can download. Be forewarned it is 430 pages. It should cover everything you need & then some. The one thing it won't cover is the actual Kawasaki engine servicing breakdown. I don't know if your gauge isn't reading or it you have a dead battery you never said. What I would do is check voltage (with a meter) at the battery to see if the alternator is charging when the engine is running. Put the meter on the battery, check it prior to starting it should be about 12-13 volts if the battery is charged up. When you start the engine & idle it up a little the voltage should increase to the 14 volt range. That will tell you if your charging system is functioning (this works also for cars, boats, etc. too). Depending on what you find you will know if you should start looking up stream or down. Also check your belt that runs the alternator & make sure it didn't break. I had that problem on my Conquest once. The alternator is tucked up under the engine towards the front of the argo (I am assuming you have the upgraded alt.) & not the easiest to get at. -Ozzy

+ Reply to Thread