new to me 79 argo 8x8...oops already!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to me 79 argo 8x8...oops already!

new to me 79 argo 8x8...oops already!

Brand new to the AATV world...bought an old argo, went and drove it, didn't know what I was looking for or at...appeared good all around and took it home...
    pushed it out of the trailer into the garage. Dad came by to look at it, I fired it up and let it warm up, revved it up to show him that the clutches shift out and whop! the driven clutch threw the brass bushing out of it!!! 1 pc on the bottom of the floor and the other stayed around the shaft under the drive belt. From the break it looks like had been like that for some time, just happened to come apart then.
    I guess that's what I get for buying a 30 year old machine!!!!
    Now the question: Is the bushing replaceable or should I just put a new clutch in it?
    It's a 399cc kohler and I assume its a comet clutch, but not sure...do I need to pull the motor out to get the drive clutch off? Looks close, do these come off like a snowmobile clutch and puller/rod?
    As well, one of the balloon tires does not hold air, does anybody have any of these around? LH side...
    Thanks for any help!
    doug

Talked to R'sRs today, he told me the brass bushing was an idler bushing and don't worry about it...so I took it out in the hay fields today and had a blast, this 8x8 flat out rocks!!! My grand daughter and I pulled few donuts and some long runs and just had a great time, we both didn't want to stop!

when we got back to the house and shut it off, airy fluid came out of the tube coming out of the top of the tranny, should this happen???

I found a couple of things that needed tightened up and all seems ready to go other than the tires, the firestones and fatcats are different sizes, gotta get some of all the same size...R's Rs said that 21's and 22's will fit and still get 13" tracks on em'. What kind of tires work well, what are your experiences? AT-101s, RH III's, Chevrons's, what are soft and good riding?
    thanks!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlazer View Post
    when we got back to the house and shut it off, airy fluid came out of the tube coming out of the top of the tranny, should this happen???

I found a couple of things that needed tightened up and all seems ready to go other than the tires, the firestones and fatcats are different sizes, gotta get some of all the same size...R's Rs said that 21's and 22's will fit and still get 13" tracks on em'. What kind of tires work well, what are your experiences? AT-101s, RH III's, Chevrons's, what are soft and good riding?
    thanks!
    Doug
    Hi Doug
    There is only one kind of fluid in the trans, or at least there should only be one. Might be that you are overfull, or might be contaminated with something. Safest bet is to drain the trans fluid and put new stuff in. 80W-90 Hypoid Gear Oil with a little limited slip diff additive is good.

For tires, I like the 24" Frontier's from ARGO. They are a tight fit on my Conquest, and I don't know for sure if they will fit your Argo or not. Check your axle C to C, if it's 24" the big Frontiers "should" fit. There are 22" Frontiers available now as well. Note, if you run tracks, you will NOT be able to run the 24" Frontiers.

RD

Thanks RD! I like the looks of the frontiers, just can't get beyond the cost vs some of the others...don't want to be cheap, but since I just bought the rig, I hate to spend another 1500 on new treads and wheels, anyone know if you can get 8 less than that?...Richards relics had carlisle and gdyr rhIII for 4oo less including the 3-5 adapters. The spacing is 24" c to c distance on the hubs, but I don't think they'll fit under the fender? Might have to do some more measuring...
    I didn't find the drain plug on this tranny. gonna have to do some more looking.
    Doug

Drain plug on both of mine is right at my toes, behind the firewall. Squarehead plug, should have a magnet on it for collecting metal particles.

+ Reply to Thread