ok tranny out now what

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ok tranny out now what

ok tranny out now what

ok i got the tranny out of the 81 8 i/c and i need to replace the gasket that seels the two cases but im having trouble spliting the case i removed all the bolts and after an hour i only got it to move 3 inches it appears that all the gears in side are staying on the side that im plling on is there someone who has split there tranny that could give some pointers before i break something thanks

yes, they come apart very easily AFTER you put a little heat to them, simply take a torch and wave it all around the trans but be carefull around the seals, if it feels just slightly warm to the touch she should be good to go
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

so do the gears come apart when it splits and do i have to take the shifter apart i need to replace one seal on the right side if you were in the machine looking at it and is is normal for the gears to come out with the cover or are they supposed to stay in the large side of the case thanks agian eight wheeler it seems you really know your stuff as i am new to this world of argos and dont have the knowledge yet thanks agian

No problem Tony we are here to help, first off dont be afraid of anything you pull out of the trans unless its pieces of broken gears lol so yes most of the gears do come out when you split it, the main thing you have to worry about is the idler shaft for the reverse gear, it floats around and can be a pain upon reassembly. a nice tool i found to help out with the trans is an air chisel with a wide open face bit with a piece of rubber on the front of it, you can justuse the air chisel to nicely push bearings/shafts out of the casings but must be nice to them
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

thanks agian tomarrow i will attack it agian and see what happens and try and get some picture on here

+ Reply to Thread