Winter Argo Trip

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winter Argo Trip

Winter Argo Trip

Temps were forcasted to be good for last weekend (-8C to -15C, with dips down to -23C), so we headed out fishing and exploring around our cabin for a few days. I got everything loaded up the night before, but didn't really believe the forcast, so I backed my trailer into the shop for the night. Good thing as the morning temp as we were getting the last few things togeather was -31C. That's just too cold to take the family out, but we were hoping it would warm up a bit by the time we made it to the drop point for the Argo's.
    Off we went, temps had warmed up quite a bit in the 2hr drive to where we unloaded the machines. I figure it was about -17 when we left the truck. I had made a trip in 2 weekends before to break the trail to the cabins.
    Here is a clip from the trip in, found something a little unusual on the way. Actually there is something a little unusual about each of these clips:

On the first day out, after we got to the cabins, the kids and I went out and opened up some of the trails around the area. Snowmobiles had not been down some of them yet. Wife kept an eye on the chickens roasting in the oven. When I figured it was closse to supper time, we headed back to camp. Here is a look at some of the unbroken trails:

Second day out kids wanted to spend some time fishing, so I went out and built a fishing camp on the ice. Started to run into "Overflow" all over the place. Almost got stuck a few times, so I never did try to get to some of what I thought would be the better places to fish. To far away, and too much of a chance of getting stuck alone. I set up close enough to home that I could walk to the cabin if I had to.
    Here is "Fishcamp"

Well, after a spectacularily unsuccessfull day of fishing, we spent the evening playing games (Yatzee), reading stories and coloring.
    On day 3, we decided to try to go some places that we can't get to in the summer. We started heading up one of the bigger inlet creeks to the lake. Lots of snow drifts to play in. We finally made it to a Beaver Dam that was just too much to get over easily. We worked at it for a few minutes, but then decided to play in the snow for a while before heading home.
    This was fun:

On day 4 it was time to go home. I knew I was pushing my luck with the weather. It was -27C outside that last morning. My Conquest with the recient battery upgrade started up fine. The other machine, having ignition issues at the moment, didn't do so well. I had to fire up the generator, and put an electric heater under the hood for about an hour. Finally got that one to fire up, but now I was concerned about my truck. Damn Diesels hate the cold, so I loaded up the generator, heaters, battery charger, ect and brought them out to the truck with me.........just in case.
    By the time we got away, it had warmed up a bit, we left the cabins at about noon. The trail, now well packed, was no trouble.

Overall, I was very impressed with my oldest daughter, you might notice in all the vids that it's her driving the second machine. She is 7yrs old at the moment.

Hope you enjoyed the trip

RD

awesome snow vids...we had some snow in tucson last night and i was going to
    put the tracks on but...........................ignore date on pic camera is jacked up:D
    Attached Images

once again youv'e submitted some great vids RD,always a pleasure to watch.spending time with ones family like that gives a guy way better memories then beer guzzling weekends with the guys.your 7 year old daughter is a pro argo pilot,good stuff bud.damn moose must be sharpening their teeth on them trees.lol
    Last edited by plott hound; 02-28-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Enjoyed the videos!!! Can't wait to get some tracks! Really impressed with your little ones driving skill! Saw her driving in one of your earlier videos, too, I believe. I'm a little surprised you don't use helmets though. Are you using one of the GoPro Hero helmet cams? Saw your glasses in a few places. :-) Cool stuff! Waiting for more.

It doesn't get any better than that Roc Doc! Impressive videos!

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    awesome snow vids...we had some snow in tucson last night and i was going to
    put the tracks on but...........................ignore date on pic camera is jacked up
    Holy Cow, better fire up the Snowblower. I like the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
    Enjoyed the videos!!! Can't wait to get some tracks! Really impressed with your little ones driving skill! Saw her driving in one of your earlier videos, too, I believe. I'm a little surprised you don't use helmets though. Are you using one of the GoPro Hero helmet cams? Saw your glasses in a few places. :-) Cool stuff! Waiting for more.
    Helmets, yes, we do use them, but not in the Argo's. I will not sit here and try to justify that comment, but I will say I don't think they are required in the Argo at the speeds we are traveling at, or the conditions we are traveling in.
    One of the Cams is simply the IKAM Extreme Eyewear (Sunglasses), and the other is my VIO POV 1 Headcam. I'm very impressed with the IKAM so far, it works well for a $169.00 toy. They are a little on the fragile side though.

RD

Hi Rock,

Great video keep it coming. Moose must be hungry!

Newf

Quote Originally Posted by Newfy Moose View Post
    Hi Rock,

Great video keep it coming. Moose must be hungry!

Newf
    No doubt, there were a pile of trees right there all chewed up, and high on the trunks too, way higher than my wife could reach.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    No doubt, there were a pile of trees right there all chewed up, and high on the trunks too, way higher than my wife could reach.

RD
    looks like your wife doesnt read this forum.

Nice trip RD...I love the videos...

+ Reply to Thread