Argo Transmission Removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Transmission Removal

Argo Transmission Removal

On a 1985 Argo 8x8 should I be able to get the cross mount bolts out to remove the trans without removing the clutch and drive sprockets? I cant seem to get the clutch off to remove the drive sprocket and brake rotor which are blocking the bolt from coming out. Am I missing something or will I have to remove the bolt heads with a sawzall?

its very close but yes you do in fact have to remove the discs, you would have thought some engineer could have moved the bolt lacations 1/4 inch to save the hassle but i guess that would have been too easy lol
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Thanks for the answer. Now back to trying to get the clutch off I guess.

You might look into removing the engine & transmission out of the Argo while they are still mounted on their sub frame if you have a good enough hoist available. That way you can get at the clutch and brake discs easier for your efforts to get them off rather than getting frustrated with bending over your rig.

Try some heat and penetrating oil on that stubborn clutch...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizzly View Post
    You might look into removing the engine & transmission out of the Argo while they are still mounted on their sub frame if you have a good enough hoist available. That way you can get at the clutch and brake discs easier for your efforts to get them off rather than getting frustrated with bending over your rig.

Try some heat and penetrating oil on that stubborn clutch...

This ^ is actually not very hard to do, pull 3 bolts and disconect some wires. Don't need much in the way of a hoist, a couple guys can walk away with the engine and trans assembly without to much trouble. Might consider installing an alternator while you have the engine out.
    NOTE: If you are just pulling the trans, make sure you lift the trans high enough so that when you pull the brake rotors, they clear the sprockets on the idler shafts. There are several pullers that will work good to pull the Brake rotors, but pulling the clutch can be a pain sometimes if it was assembled in the past without some type of anti-sieze.

RD

Well, I got it out. I backed the bolts against the rotors and cut the heads off with a sawzall. I tried heat and pb blasater for several days. I dont have it apart yet but opened the cover enough to drain the oil out. Pretty sure it had more water than oil.

+ Reply to Thread