Newbie gets first Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie gets first Argo

Newbie gets first Argo

I got concerned with all this bad talk about the admiral/hdi etc. and thought maybe I should buy cheaper for my intended recreation only use. (I had planned to buy a new 750hdi) I ended up scoring a bigfoot with poly track/wheel kit and original wheels 95% tread.......rig has 60 hours on it. I got it for $5k. I do need to figure out what year it is tho'. No manuals or papers at all on it, never registered either. Will also be looking for a frnt/rear winch kit, a brush guard, and an outboard brkt....was hoping you guys could lead me to best deal for parts and accessories. Thanks.

You will love your Bigfoot, but I gotta tell you it is no 750 HDI. I can offer you one piece of advise and that's to do a electric fuel pump mod. It's the single biggest bang for your buck on the 18 hp Briggs. Also If you decide you want the HD upgrades (minus the admiral) you can add it to your bigfoot with minor modifications and I have step by step details from Argo if your interested. A great way to save money on your Bigfoot upgrades is to call up some older dealers and talk to them. Quite a few have old Bigfoot parts just sitting on there shelves. Where are you located and maybe some one can direct you to a place close by.

I'm in southern N.H. My bigfoot shakes out to be an 03 model. It has a bellypan protector, and axle housing extensions......for the track kit I suppose. I plan to put the argo 25" wheels back on right away. It runs awesome, but the chains were seriously neglected as they are tight, and rusty. Belly area is dirty and has signs of water intrusion (guy says it was out in rain from time to time, but mostly in garage). I'm assuming the bearings and everything else were neglected also. Should I pop the axles housings off and check it all out or run it with fresh grease and see how it goes? its only got 60 hours......brake pads and tracks/tires look near 100%.

i'm in the process of replacing all the bearings and chain on my 01' bigfoot. jack it up and wiggle the wheels. mine all had play which is why i'm doing the refurbish. this also allows me to prep things with never seize which should be a big help in the future. i'm not a mechanic by nature and i'm really fighting the set screws on some of the sprockets and not to mention banging out the axles from the inner bearings but it is giving a real education on the design of the things. the one thing i am finding is that the original inner bearings are in good shape. the outers leave a bit to be desired but once it's all apart it's not bad working on and cleaning. also check the idler shaft bearings they are not as obvious and may have been neglected. also go to one of the dealers website and download the part and service manuals. the manuals have been an equally important source of info along with the help from members here. what part of n.h. are you from? i'm in rhode island but my brother has a place in southern maine, freedom to be exact, and i'll probably be riding up there quite often this summer. i'm also thinking about upgrading the chain tensioners to the new hdi but will decide when i put the new chains on and see how they operate. grease all the fittings and again check for wiggle. as i go through the refurbisment this is where i'm getting educated on what all these grease fitting are for. like i said i'm not a natural mechanic so what i'm seeing and realizing is that these are not machines to be neglected. man these things sure are fun to ride and i would love to go to busco beach with everyone sometime or just ride with some other argo's to compare and contrast mechanically. i also dig the customization factor of these aatv's, remind me of harley's.

trevor

Well im in central vermont on the NH border so maybe a mini group ride could be in order. And all Bigfoots! I have a few places to ride here, powerlines are always fun, but there is also a park not far away. Many choices

i'm in for a new england ride. i really want to get a good look at your hdi upgrade and those heat tires. watching the video you posted riding with the four wheelers, you seem to have a similar riding style to me aggressive! i'm thinking about putting a 23hp in mine but got to get through the drive train first and then some of those adair tracks.

trevor

Too funny I have been pricing motor transplants for awhile. The 23 with oil cooler sounds nice. 1200 with mine as trade in from relics

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    I got concerned with all this bad talk about the admiral/hdi etc. and thought maybe I should buy cheaper for my intended recreation only use. (I had planned to buy a new 750hdi) I ended up scoring a bigfoot with poly track/wheel kit and original wheels 95% tread.......rig has 60 hours on it. I got it for $5k. I do need to figure out what year it is tho'. No manuals or papers at all on it, never registered either. Will also be looking for a frnt/rear winch kit, a brush guard, and an outboard brkt....was hoping you guys could lead me to best deal for parts and accessories. Thanks.

Sorry you didn't get an HDI but happy your got a Bigfoot, they are a fine machine that will take a lot of abuse. Have fun!

hi there i am in the same situation, i have an 06 avenger and want to sell it to buy the new 750 with the admirial but i have to wait and see if odg can get the problems fixed.i sent an email to one of the reps a couple of days ago at odg and got no reply,i think they are too busy reading about the admirial on 6x6 world

Quote Originally Posted by lamonte Halleran View Post
    hi there i am in the same situation, i have an 06 avenger and want to sell it to buy the new 750 with the admirial but i have to wait and see if odg can get the problems fixed.i sent an email to one of the reps a couple of days ago at odg and got no reply,i think they are too busy reading about the admirial on 6x6 world
    Hey Lamonte, I keep reading about all the Admiral issues and I am not sure I understand what's going on. I know four people now with HD's (Mudbug,myself, Lee and TeddyBear). Mudbug and I have put our machines though a lot of extreme conditions and so far no problems.

The one issue I have with the Admiral is the counter rotation, I wish that the counter rotation had a separate switch so I could use low range without the counter rotation.

Love the counter rotation in light mud, water and on the trail but in thick mud I just want the low range gearing without counter rotation.

A positive thing about the Admiral that no one seems to mention is you never loose drive on one side when you are in high range. For me this has proven to be a big advantage several times when I would have been stuck with the old style transmission.

I think most of the heat issues have to do with an EPA mandated restrictive exhaust thats holds a lot of heat under the hood. There are several ways to solve that issue but the best way is to simply run with the hood off.

+ Reply to Thread