RT 30 Warn... wait till you here this!!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RT 30 Warn... wait till you here this!!!

Wink RT 30 Warn... wait till you here this!!!

One of my family members, just purchased a 2011 Argo HDI with 18inch Rubber swamp tracks, and a RT (Rough Terrain) 30 (3000lbs) Warn winch.

Now, for years, Argo has used SuperWinch, so I assumed the Warn winch must be a better winch for them to switch to.

Well... guess what!?

We drove directally into a hole 1/2 way to our destination, dug the winch in to a mound of mud trying to climb out, then we noticed we were wedged in backwards too, the back had dropped perfectally in the hole (the hole, just happened to be the exact lenght of the machine), so we were stuck on a mound in the front, and the back of the tub was stuck against the other side of the hole... it's getting dark, and the flies are eating us alive... winch don't fail us now!!!

The HDI is an unbelievable machine, in high, the tracks do not stop turning, it is like having a lock differential (steers like one too! lol), to skid-steer, one side just slows down (but nevertheless keeps going) and it slowly turns it's self around... in low, one side keeps going, while the other side turns backwards 1/3 the speed... but I'm sure EVERYONE on this site knew that! On that note... it's almost inpossible to get it stuck, we got it stuck... well, because we TRIED to get it stuck... but now I'm rambling... back to telling you about our delima...

So, late at night, flies are ripping us apart, and we are BURRIED!!!

We put our strap on the nerest tree (about 50ft away... of course!) large enough to pull a 1500lbs machine... emptied all of our winch cable out, to just make it to the strap by mere inches, then the moment of truth...

Hit the switch!!! The Warn starts off strong, moving the Argo, 1/2 inch, by 1/2 inch, moving the 2 foot mound of mud with it (all the while, the HDI is whipping it's tracks)... then, it ever so slowly............. STOPS

Long story short, we had to dig probably around 500lbs of mud AND ROOTS away from the front of the machine (with our bare hands of course), use the winch, and man power (guess who was pushing in waist deep mud?), AND HDI power, to FINALLY get out of the hole...

The lesson we learned here... just straddle the hole... and life will be eaiser on you...

I've had four RT-30's apart and I found on 2 of them that the clutch housing wasn't perfectly round causing friction/binding under load and in free spool. (1 wouldn't even free spool) I replaced the clutch housings with new ones and the issue went away. All four were close to new so I don't think it was from damage. Also the clutch handle assembly is plastic and breaks VERY easily. When mine craps out again I wont be buying another Warn. (no only 1 is mine, the other 3 were friends and they won't be buying another Warn either)
    Last edited by vader8x8; 05-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Hey 1975

Just a thought, for when you find yourself in a similar situation (might not have worked for you, but has for me a few times). In the past I've strapped a section of tree (about 8' long) across the front of the tracks. Ratchet Straps work well, doesn't have to be tight, just fastened to the tracks. When you attempt to drive forward, the tree will be dragged under the machine, lifting you out of the hole. Once the tree gets to the back of the machine, remove, and off you go on your way.

PS, I feel the same about the Warn Winches, never had real good luck with them. I have 4,200lb Rule winches on my Argo's now.

RD

In contrast, I have always had great service with warn winches over the decades with various atv and truck. Warn also stands behind their product with a lifetime warranty.........of which I have never had to use. I just bought a RT30 for my bigfoot. I'm also planning a RT25 from my Max II. I have a Warn portable 1500lbs that I was given as a gift about 20 years ago and it gets used as a snowmobile / atv service hoist regularly over all those years, never had an issue and still works great. I'm not suggesting that superwinch or rule are not good, but I would stay away from the many in-expensive imported disposable knock-offs.

Hey vader the way that 8x8 goes of yours i cant imagine you ever using a winch those Adair tracks are 100% in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    Hey vader the way that 8x8 goes of yours i cant imagine you ever using a winch those Adair tracks are 100% in my book.
    You never know. For instance, maybe you go riding with some crazy guy who crosses 60' wide rivers that are 6' deep with a swift current and you don't want to look chicken so you cross too and you get swept downstrean because your tracks don't swim like tires and you need to use it as a lasso to snag a tree as your drifting at 8 knots. Could happen. (Glad I made it, it was fun)
    Last edited by vader8x8; 05-25-2011 at 09:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread