Kohler 400 keeps flooding....why?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler 400 keeps flooding....why?

Kohler 400 keeps flooding....why?

I have an old 70's argo with the kohler 400cc, with the tilotson HR carburetor. It runs great for a while, then floods out. I just rebuilt the carb-all new diaphragms and everything, and it still is flooding. What is going on? Could it just be low speed adjustment? I tried playing with it, but it didn't seem to change anything. Any ideas?
    thanks, sam
    Last edited by Mike; 05-28-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic. Please do not double post, thanks.

Why does my carburetor keep flooding!?

I have an old 70's argo with the kohler 400cc, with the tilotson HR carburetor. It runs great for a while, then floods out. I just rebuilt the carb-all new diaphragms and everything, and it still is flooding. What is going on? Could it just be the low speed adjustment? I tried playing with it, but it didn't seem to change anything. Any ideas?
    thanks, sam

Did you replace the fuel shutoff needle valve when you rebuilt the carb? I have had many engines do this same thing, it's almost always a leaky needle valve.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kunzmm137 View Post
    Did you replace the fuel shutoff needle valve when you rebuilt the carb? I have had many engines do this same thing, it's almost always a leaky needle valve.
    I think the valve in question is the equivalent to a float bowl valve in a standard carb. The till.'s have no float, only a diaphram allowing them to run even upside down. Brilliant idea, but they can be very frustrating. That's why so many people replace them with the mikuni equivalent....or just go to a 4 stroke. I had the one on my old sportster apart more times than I can count before giving up

Yeah, the needle was replaced with a new one also. One of my thoughts though, the rebuild kit cam with three different springs to replace the one that goes under that little lever that pulls out the needle. I was thinking maybe they are different hardnesses, and if I put a harder one in there it would spring back sooner, letting less gas in? Does that make any sense? Thanks -Sam

I hate Tillotson carbs, it seems like dosen't matter how much you re-build them or what you do, they ALWAYS give you SOME FORM of trouble.

I have switched ALL of my old machines to Mikuni Carbs, which work much better than the old Tillotsons.

Just an idea.

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    I think you are correct about the different springs in the kit. They should be different colours to indicate different tensions. Changing to a firmer spring will lean it out. The other thing to look at is the lever that the spring is under that pushes on the fuel needle. Even if it has been replaced, make sure the arm that the spring is under sits level with the body of the carb. If it is bent up it will flood, and bent down it will run lean or not at all.

you played with the low speed and it never changed anything.did you check the compression of your engine?i have seen this before.just enough cylinder pressure to draw fuel but not enough compression to explode the fuel.spark plugs are soaked with gas.should have at least 110lbs compression on 3 pulls

+ Reply to Thread