Used Argo advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used Argo advice

Used Argo advice

I'm looking to purchase a used 6x6 this summer and could use some advice on how to evaluate them. This will be my first and I don't have any experience running or working on them. I've worked on old outboards (from the 50's mostly) and snowmobiles from the 90's, so I'm pretty comfortable with basic 2-stroke engines, but the rest of the drive train on a 6x6 is still foreign to me. What should I look for to avoid getting myself into a real problem? I don't mind working on it, but don't need a complete rebuild my first time out!

I have found a 2004 Argo Vanguard for $4500. I haven't driven it yet, but it looks pretty clean from a casual inspection. I don't know how many hours are on it or the service history. Is $4500 a good price assuming it's in good shape? What should I check on it to make sure there aren't any surprises?

hi, i just got my first argo this winter and i wish i looked a little more closely. i ended up replaceing 14 out of 16 on my 6x6 plus the cost of gaskets wich i had a buddy make with a machine. after the first axel i figured it out. check for noises in the drive, engine or just bring someone who's been around them, wish that's what i would have done. looks can be tricky.

if the wheels wiggle even a bit while off the ground, you'll need beraings and seals which can be a large job. Check chain adjusters for how much further thay can go. Side to side slack on chains is not good. If you can take into the water, that tells you alot. No leaks means its probably mostly all good.

Hi RocketHurricane, if you will look in the how-to section there is a used amphibious ATV buyer's guide that covers most of the basics: Used Argo Buyer's Guide

+ Reply to Thread