Argos and Opposing engines?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argos and Opposing engines?

Argos and Opposing engines?

Just wondering if anyone has ever put an opposing engine in an Argo? I have a late 70's / early 80's 8x8 and found a good price on a 22hp Onan (I believe) opposing engine. I have been through all the pictures, and can't recall seeing one. Am I wasting my time, will they not fit, or they just so hard to find that no one has tried it yet?

I don't think they are hard to find. BMW has been putting them in motorcycles for years. I don't think there would be room to connect it to a trans and clutch and still fit it in an amphib the way the cylinders are 180 degrees from each other. (of course I could be wrong)

yes i did one not too long ago with 18hp briggs I/C it was a total pain in butt cause of the lack of room/height in engine compartment the air ducting gets cut almost right to the cylinders to be able to fit under and then custom hood custom exhaust, i will never do it again, especially when its much easier to fit a nice Vanguard V-twin in
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

That was exactly my fear, I figured if they were just as good as the Vanguards V-twins . . . you would see more of them in AATVs. Thanks again guys!

+ Reply to Thread