Argo axle alignment

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo axle alignment

Argo axle alignment

Hello. Lurking for a bit now. I have an Argo TB model, year unknown. I am installing new bearings, and have run into a snag. The PO had the eccentric collars for the outside bearing on the outside of the Argo body. I "outsmarted" him by placing the new ones on the inside, as per the factory parts manual. the axles do not have enough movement for alignment now. They will not meet up with the idlers, or tensioners. What have I done? the outer bearing flanges are heavily sealed at this point and removal to flip the bearing is not looking fun. Is it advisable to turn down the sprocket collar? Or flip em? I do appreciate any help.

I just finished re-building the bottom end of a 1970s Argo 8x8, it's the exact same set up as yours, you put the bearings in backwards, if you want I can post photos of mine.

That's what I feared. Thanks for the info. Pictures would be great, to make sure I didn't miss anything else.

Here are the photos(other photo won't upload ) as promised, this is how the bearing and essintric locking collar should look, as seen from the outside of the tub.

See, my sprocket hubs extend right to the back of the bearing, leaving about a 1/4inch of space between the back of the bearing and the hub, so there was no way I could have put the bearings in with the collar on the inside(the space simpally just does not permit), I wonder if this was an attempt at an almost "fail safe" method of assemble by dealers and individuals?

Anyhow, here's the photo:

025.jpg

Thanks. does the orientation of the inner bearing matter?

+ Reply to Thread