idler shafts sprokets

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: idler shafts sprokets

idler shafts sprokets

hey guys on my 96 conquest,while replacing bearings i noticed that the floating sprockets on the idler shafts have the flange where the set screw would be facing to the left.i had read on here somewhere not to mix these gears up.can anybody help???also i know idler and front drive sprokets float my dealer told me to set screw everything whats your thoughts???thanks.

I don't remember, off hand, which way they go, but it IS important to get them on the right way. Put them on the wrong way and the chains will eat the sprockets off the brake rotors. You should be able to see the misalignment if they are on backwards.
    I don't put setscrews on those particular sprockets.

RD

i put them back on the way i took them off,why would it eat the sprockets????so you let both idler and front drive sprockets float then rd.the guy that had this thing before me should be kicked in the junk everything is loc tited in place i have developed a whole new language while working in the shop..

Quote Originally Posted by 28560HUNTING View Post
    i put them back on the way i took them off,why would it eat the sprockets????so you let both idler and front drive sprockets float then rd.the guy that had this thing before me should be kicked in the junk everything is loc tited in place i have developed a whole new language while working in the shop..
    It's been done to both of my Conquests in the past. I posted a pic of what the Brake Rotor Sprocket looked like after, but don't remember where I posted it. Basically, if the Idler sprocket is placed on the wrong way, the slight tension, to the side, put on the chain will make the chain slowly grind away on the sides of the sprocket teeth on the Brake Rotor.

I let them float, the chains are so short, that they can't get away on you.
    Hey, I know that Language too. We're Bilingual, we speak English and Profanity, lol.

RD

Haa, I got sent home from work
    Now I can post a pic. This is the one I was thinking of, The Brake Rotor on the left had the idler shaft sprocket on backwards. See how the teeth are worn off one side?

RD
    Last edited by Rock Doctor; 07-31-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: still learning left from right :-)

Hey guys does antybody know which way these idler sprockets face?does anybody have a photo?can anybody snap a photo?help i dont want to have any problems.

+ Reply to Thread